Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themerck

anyone growing norway spruce in zone 8 in the southeast?

themerck
17 years ago

i was looking up some iformation on the norway srpuce and saw that they had on in the donald e davis arboretum in auburn alabama, which is in zone 8even though i'm in washington state now i'm originally from alabama and i used to experiment with non native tres from there. so is anybody else growing the norway spruce that far south in zone 8?

Comments (20)

• conifers
    17 years ago

Tom Cox (Cox Arboretum in Canton, Georgia; Zone 7A) has several Norway cultivars.

Here's a link:

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant List - Cox Arboretum

• themerck
    Original Author
    17 years ago

even though i'm in washington state now i still order trees for relatives in south alabama. i was thinking about getting some norway spruce for them since i saw that they had one in auburn alabama. even though i like the native conifers of the southeast i've always wanted to grow firs or spruce i've tried many and the only one's that are sucessful for sure were the japanese fir,coast redwood, i think maybe the taiwan douglas fir and the chihuahua spruce

• conifers
    17 years ago

I'd be interested in that study if you'd write it to another thread.

Thanks,

Dax

• spruceman
    17 years ago

Dax:

I will look for it--I moved twice since I last laid eyes on it. A preliminary search here in VA has not turned it up. I will look up at my timberland place next week. If I don't find it I will make the original contact again, if I can.

themerck:

Norway spruce is an extremely adaptable tree, so it is worth a try in GA. Also, it is extremely variable, so one approach is to plant a small group of small trees, maybe two or three from each of two or more different sources, and then you will have a high probability of getting one or two that are vigorous in that area.

--Spruce

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Best seed source to try would be low altitude in the southeast of the species' range (Bulgaria, Macedonia)

Resin

• VAsouthern
    11 years ago

I have seen only 1 Norway spruce here in southeastern Virginia (although there could be more I haven't seen yet). It is about 30 feet tall and looks fairly healthy. However; it is surrounded by other taller trees, so I don't know if they protect it from our hot summers. And just to give you an idea of the climate here, things like Spanish moss, live oaks, and longleaf pines are native to this area.

• 123cococo
    11 years ago

I am growing several in Tennessee. We are listed as Z7 however we suffered over 30 days above 95 degrees and reached 106 for a week this summer. What I have found by trial and error is to never plant in the spring. I only plant October through Feb. This gives them time to establish before summer. Some I am growing are Inversa, Pendula, Goldrift, Thume, The Blues, Blue Magoo, and Wingles Weeper. I hope this helps.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

I just planted the straight species two days ago to go along with the pendula I got from Kigi last fall. It will be interesting to see what happens. They are planted in dappled sun- it's all the light I have. I will just mulch well and water. I grew the hemlock from another thread for about 15 yrs and just moved it here and so far it looks very good but it's still winter. I also have a Sequoia 'soquel' planted last year after the move, and it grew a little bit and expect it to take off this year. I also got a A. pinsapo glauca and aurea but they are on firma so I hope they will do ok too. And a silberlocke and koreana 'Aurea' on firma. And of course have a firma too. Just got a chinese pseudostuga, P. smithiana, A. pindrow and A. recurvata from Forestfarm. I really need to concentrate on surefire things like taxodium, metasequoia amd cedrus.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The correct name for 'Pendula' is 'Reflexa'.

Please for next time write Taxodium, Metasequoia, Cedrus and Pseudotsuga like this, with a capital mark...thanks!

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Thanks Edwin, you just did it for me!

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

You're welcome! ;0)

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

I planted an 'Acrocona' this fall in full all day sun (I have 0 shade at the house) and have it mulched a couple inches thick in a very large ring. Abciximab helped me with the selection (bnb) and I had the opportunity to see one growing along with 'Pusch' in his garden. They were doing very well but his gardens have primo soil and aftercare to put it mildly. Mine will be in full sun on an elevated location. I am heavily considering shade cloth for the first two seasons.I really enjoyed my tour and my eyes were opened as to what can grow in our region. I am trying my best to deter the conifer bug because I fear I will have massive casualties. But darn it, he has SO MANY doing so well it is hard keep the wallet closed!

John

ps - I know this is an old topic, but I will update with pics of mine as this growing season commences and progresses if anyone is interested

• 123cococo
    11 years ago

The only abies I have had success with is 'Golden Spreader'. Initially I made the error of overwatering to compesate for 100 degree weather.The autopsy on several showed fungal issues at the root zone. I no longer water in the summer. Some other spruces that are thriving in Tennesee heat are Procumbens, Mrs. Cesarini, St. Marys, Montgomery, Formeck and Shiloh Weeping. This is despite a severe three month drought and intense heat.

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

cococo, what abies and their respective cultivars have been poor performers for you?

John

• 123cococo
    11 years ago

It has been a long time but if memory serves me I lost abies concolor Blue Cloak, Gables Weeping, koreana Aurea and Horstman Silberlock.I remember trying for several years in a row and moving towards the spruces as they have been hardier for me. A gentleman at a garden show was growing firs outside of Atlanta. He told me his trick was to plant speciman size. Immature plants did not make it through the summer hunidity.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Has anyone considered Surround Crop protectant help with sun burn and heat- might be another alternative to shade cloth. And may not be as conspicuous. I'm trying the A. recurvata own root and want to get A. chensiensis and homolepis- afraid of anything else not on firma. Check out the link if you haven't seen it before for other interesting stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: UAHuntsville Tree Planting Program

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

"Surround" is a kaolin clay based product. It leaves a whitish pasty film on leaves. Have used it on small pecan trees to prevent them being stripped by grasshoppers. It can also slow down tree respiration and provide shade to the leaf.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

yes scotjute, it might be something to try for temporary protection like wilt-pruf etc. You wouldn't have to worry about it blowing off down the street but it appears to wear off with heavy rains. How long did it last? I've used wilt-pruf for years and had good results.

• Henry Z6(OH Zone 6b)
    2 months ago

Ik this is old, but try and find Picea polita. It is a spruce native to Japan and can grow in zones 6-8 in the south.