Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needles are turning yellow

Posted by AGFS IL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 14:02

Hello,

We just moved in a new house (Long Grove, IL - Northwest suburb of Chicago) this June. The previous owner had planted a quite few pine trees around the house.

Just recently we noticed the needles of these pine trees are turning yellow. Please see the pictures.

My questions are:

1) What kind of pine trees are they?
2) Are they normal at this time of the year with yellow needles? or they have some diseases?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needles are turning yellow

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 14:22

How close is that one to what appears to be a deck?

These white pines get really wide, really fast.

The needle color/drop is normal. I'm sure others will chime in with more specifics.

o
RE: Needles are turning yellow

how many needles in a bundle.. cant tell from the pic.

looks like a white pine.. 100 foot potential .. easy to break in snow, ice or wind storms ... about 40 feet too close to the house ...

no conifer holds its needles forever.. most lose older leaves in 2 to 3 years.. if you note the pattern.. its all last years needles ... TOTALLY NORMAL... increased by drought and/or heat ...

IMHO.. get rid of it.. but not because of the yellowing.. see link based on ID guess ...

ken

PS: i had 6 of those around a deck.. that size when i bought the house.. i could have taken care of business for free ... 10 years later i had to pay $1000 to have six 40 footers removed professionally after a severe ice storm took off the top 10 feet ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here