Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Sciadopitys verticillata Photo Gallery 2011

monkeytreeboy15
12 years ago

I quite enjoy the Japanese Umbrella Pines, even though I only have one to share.. for now. I'd love to see other exciting cultivars, please!

'Sternschnuppe' (apparently found from irradiated seed in Germany, causing the needles to fuse together in the characteristic form of this cultivar called "shooting star" in German)

Please post yours also. :0)

-Sam

Comments (73)

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

I miss one cultivar here. i am talking about the pendulous Sciadopitys verticillata 'R. w. knight'. Anyone having a picture to share. i have grafted this cultivar, but my plant is too young to show its potential.

• sugi
    11 years ago

Here is a 'Gold Star' i'am looking forward to see what's happened with this yellow form.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I can't believe how many gorgeous varieties there are of this plant. It is not as widely available around here as other conifers...I have seen perhaps only three-four of these, so it was great to find this gallery. The golden ones are amazing...

Here is one of mine, 'Mecki'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sciadopitys verticillata 'Mecki'

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

Picture of Sciadopitys verticillata 'R. W. Knight' - a weeping form that is really hard to obtain. When grafted these weeping forms need about 4-5 years to show their potential. The picture is showing 1 out of 4 scions grafted on a 'Big Filip' root stock.I have earlier sent a picture of the whole plant.

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

Picture of Sciadopitys verticillata 'R. W. Knight'.

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gold Star'.

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Hello Magnolavastic

Do you grow sciadopitys v 'long needle' can you post a
    photo?

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Scaidopitys verticillata 'Starwars' but I think its one of the gold forms.The plant has no cream foliage

{{gwi:613950}}

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

About Sciadopitys v. 'Megaschirm' (syn. 'Long leaf' (Wittboldt Mueller'). You can find it here 8if you are member). It is free:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3793910172729&set=o.194075937363188&type=3&theater

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Haengeform' with ice rain.

• texjagman
    11 years ago

Umbrella pines are one thing I've just had to convince myself we just can't grow in our heat and humidity.....but man I wish I could.

I love how they look and feel.

mark

• sugi
    11 years ago

Olav, i think your 'H�nge form' show us a good weeping habit altrought he is under the snow. H�nge meems weeper in German language.

Nice collection, thanks for sharing pics!

julien

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

A picture of Sciadopitys verticillata 'R. W. Knight' today. A true weeper. 4-5 years after grafted onto 'Big Filip'.

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Magnolavistic

Do you have small grafts of Sciadopitys v 'R.W.Knight'?

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

No, I have only this plant so far. Here is another cultivar: 'Secret Weeper'.

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

Sciadopitys v. Haengeform'. Canopy.

• magnolavastic
    11 years ago

My conifer garden today, February 1 - 2013. Mostly Sciadopitys cultivars.

• magnolavastic
    10 years ago

A new weeper of Sciadopitys verticillata? I found this weeping plant among 11 other seedlings received last winter.

• magnolavasticX
    9 years ago

Is it possible to graft the most pendulous twig of this Sciadopitys in order to get a weeping plant? The whole plant seems to be weeping. How can I know that it really is a weeper?

This post was edited by magnolavasticx on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 2:47

• Olav Kalleberg
    8 years ago

Correction: One of the names was misspelled: Sc. v. 'R. J. Knight' -

(not "R. W.). But who is/was R. J. Knight? Picture E. S. (USA).

• clement_2006
    8 years ago

Olav, have you a source for Sciadopitys verticillata 'Goldstück' I'm interested for 1

• Olav Kalleberg
    8 years ago

This cultivar is very rare. It grows VERY slowly. My plant is about 20 cm after 16-17 years. A year growth is 20-23 mm. I have one plant and do not know any other source.

• Olav Kalleberg
    8 years ago

John D O'Brien gave me this info about 'R. J. Knight': John Knight was a former propagator at Weston Nursery in Massachusetts. He named this weeping form of Sciadopitys for his father RJ Knight.

• Olav Kalleberg
    8 years ago

Sciadopitys 'Weeper #2' photo. This plant was planted in my garden in Norway 7-8 years ago. Picture is 3-4 years old.

• sam_md
    8 years ago

Nice example of a tight UP @ Smithsonian Castle. I don't think its been there very long. The brown bothers me, hope it doesn't spread.

• Olav Kalleberg
    8 years ago

The brown needles you may prune away. Usually it is not spreading and will not harm the plant. No plant I have grown is more resistant to fungus, insects etc. than Sciadopitys verticillata.

• Olav Kalleberg
    8 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata 'R. J. Knight' - 7 year graft. This is how it looks like today. A true weeper! extremely rare and may comete with the famous weeping Sciadopitys verticillata that was growing in the Shiba Park, Kyoto, Japan.

• miketropic
    7 years ago

Anyone have a source for Mr. happy or the other variegated cultivars?

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

A few mistakes corrected:

Sciadopitys verticillata 'R. J. Knight' - 7 year graft. This is how it looks like today. A true weeper! Extremely rare and may compete with the famous weeping Sciadopitys verticillata that was growing in the Shiba Park, Kyoto, Japan.

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

The correct name I correct the name toto 'R. W Knight' once more. Ref: Wayne Meaxitt: "These cultivars are unknown to me, so I contacted Jon Knight (our former propagator at Weston Nurseries) about them in the attached message, and you can see his reply below. Briggs Nursery in Washington propagated a lot of tissue culture plants over the years and is still in operation. Perhaps someone there can be helpful. Their website ishttp://www.briggsnursery.com/. I was not aware that Jon named the cultivar after his dad, but as you can see below, he says ‘R. W. Knight’ is the actual cultivar name he chose".

• PRO
    Alpine Distributors
    7 years ago

I have a weeping Sciadopitys...much better than any I have seen before..Also, Ruslyn Nursery has a gold form that I gave them years ago...Picture to follow...

• coniferbros
    7 years ago

I'm looking forward to the pic of your weeper Alpine.

Big fan of Sciadopitys here. I'm growing Wintergreen, Sternschnuppe, Green Star, and Riches Cushion.

Here is my Wintergreen. I've had it for three growing season's now.

My other three are new this year and not post worthy. Need to see how they overwinter here before I collect anymore (I'm on the northern end for Sciadopitys).

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    7 years ago

Anyone of you have problem with deer on this conifer? It doesn't say deer resistant anywhere... also, is it too hot to grow in zone 7a?

• coniferbros
    7 years ago

Mine seem to be mostly deer resistant. I've had minor nibbling, but nothing major.

I can't speak for your zone specifically, but from what I read Sciadopitys prefers cool summer climates and afternoon shade. It should be protected from winter winds (especially in z5).

• Todd C
    7 years ago

Is it heat tolerant at all. I'm guessing no because I've never seen or heard of one bwing grown in a hot climate.

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

I needs a moist and good soil - especially in hot climates, and certainly not too much sun - especially combined when combined with dry soil. It should take US Zone 7a/7b - and may be 8a (if the place is optimal).

• sam_md
    7 years ago

Nice UP in SE Penna's Westtown Academy's collection

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Olav & others,

Does 'Sternschnuppe' break its branches in heavy snows? I read this but would like to hear from others experience.

Thank you,

Dax

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sciadopitys v. Sternschnuppe' and the other Sciadopitys verticillata cultivars may break their branches especially when the snow is wet. I use to remove thick layers of snow to avoid injuries. S. v. 'Joe Kozy' can take more snow as it is so narrow.

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

My 4 meter straight species broke in half during a wet snowfall. It's recovering on it's own just fine with multi-leaders sorting it out for dominance. Still a setback though.

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

Sorry about that accident. Always wise to shake off the snow that is buiding up

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

Here you see the weeping (?) cultivars: 'R. W. Knight' and 'Weeper# 2'. Both from Bethlehem Nursery - which is now closed. Pictures: E. Shinn, USA.

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Thank you for this information Olav and Mike. I will diligently remove build-up on my Sciadopity's.

Dax

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Weeper 2'. September. 21 2016.

• Olav Kalleberg
    7 years ago

'R. W. Knight' and 'Weeper #2' in winter.

• Olav Kalleberg
    5 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata ’R. W. Knight’. April 2018. A true weeper.

• sam_md
    4 years ago

Bad news, about 4 years ago I replied to this thread with a pic about a recently planted UP tree @ Smithsonian Castle. I pointed out that the tree had a couple of brown branches. The tree is no longer there. I'm guessing that dead branches increased and the tree became so unsightly that it was removed. UP simply doesn't like the hot/muggy/buggy/humid often rainy summers of the midAtlantic.

• bengz6westmd
    4 years ago

sam, sister moved to a house that had a small one. Looked good for some yrs, even taking a very cold west MD winter w/o a problem, then just inexplicably died in the summer a few yrs later.

• sam_md
    4 years ago

Here is the neighbor's UP. It just started doing this a few years ago. The branches die one by one, there is a dead one on the other side too. In time the shape is ruined. I don't see any sign of canker.

It is looking to me like UP is just the latest in a long line of conifers not really suited for the mid-atlantic.