Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar'

Posted by mrgpag Z6 swOH (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 14:12

This has been kicked around in here before but I can't find what I'm looking for so--

Has anyone grown or seen this tree that has a size to it enough to figure out what it might look like in say 15 years? The only thing I can find showing/talking about any size is in Stanley's website and I'm sort of cautious as to what I accept as gospel there - although for the most part I like the plants I've received from Larry.

I've acquired one and am trying to figure out the best planting spot in my rather congested and small property. But then again considering the cost I incurred, the chainsaw approach down the road wouldn't be too hard to take other than the fact I really like white pines.

Thanks
Marshall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar'

I think Bob Fincham has talked about this find because I believe Sherwood from the East Coast found it and too is a friend of his. From what I recall/read/whatever - Bob said this is a 'much superior clone' than Fastigiata - holds snow loads without concern and doesn't spread out like 'Fastigiata' does with age.

Maybe I read it on his website.

Dax

o

That's more or less what Stanley's website says as well. Do you have Bob's catalog?

o

I have the Jan. '06 Coenosium Gardens catalogue from Bob, but there's no Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' in it....

o

Jaro - thanks

o

I was just thinking about that Marshall (that's where I read it).

Coenosium Gardens 'Catalogue of Rare Plants For The Discriminating Person' - January 2003:

Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar':
"An exceptionally narrow selection that if very resistant to damage from snow. It grows about 9" per year. My plants are over 10' tall and less than 4' wide. It is superior to 'Fastigiata' in every way (zone 3)."

Dax

o

so about 2 times taller than wide - Thanks

o

'Prune to perfection' (and save the scionwood)

Dax

P.s. I killed one of these already and have two more - one in the ground the other I'm saving for later (looked at a 3.7 acre plot yesterday actually). My new plants have multiple leaders, so I'd imagine if kept to one, it might be even more narrow and more similar to the photo on Larry Stanley's website (They look very narrow - love that photo:).

P.p.s. My Juniper 'Gold Cone' plants are becoming wider than I expected as well. I thought these would be extremely narrow, but then again, maybe they will with even more time. See ya maybe soon Marshall. -- D.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here