Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
topping conifers

Posted by LauraMcN none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 14:18

We have a dwarf hinoki planted next to our front steps that is getting a little too tall for its location. It is starting to block the view from the porch. Can I top a Hinoki without killing it? What else fo I need to know about this?

Thanks,
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: topping conifers

See above.

o
RE: topping conifers #2

....or below, as the case may be!

o

you have our permission.. to do whatever you want to the plants in your garden ... what more can i say???

i dont know what else you need to know.. get saw .. apply to bark.. and continue back and forth motion.. until the top is severed ...

it will not kill it ...

who knows what it will look like in 10 years ... no one has that answer ...

worse thing you can do.. is make it so ugly.. you actually decide to remove it some time ...

personally.. i wouldnt do it.. but who cares what i think about your tree ...

perhaps a picture will get you alternatives ...

have fun.. teach it a lesson on who is in charge of this house..

ken

o

No, no, no and no!! Topping trees of any kind is not an acceptable practice. Sometimes selective and judicious pruning can be used to restrain the size on certain species but in general, a tree growing too large for its location should just be removed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop topping!

o

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 18:49

When a conifer such as this has out grown its assigned place to grow it's time to remove and start over.

Dave

o

I have a Hinoki Cypress growing next to the support beam near my front door entrance-way......the top two feet of the Hinoki were knoocked off by a clumsy idiot I had (mistakenly) hired for an ice and snow removal job on the gutters and roof a couple of winters ago..
Well the Hinoki has recovered and one would never know it had been "topped". I also trimmed some of the branches to contain its sideways growth and it looks A OK.
So its my belief that one can control this type of evergreen pretty well. Certainly I do not want mine to grow beyond gutter height and intend to trim it from time to time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here