Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannabegardnr

Good nurseries close to Montgomery county, MD

wannabegardnr
10 years ago

Can you guys suggest some good nurseries for conifers close to me? I am in Montgomery county, Maryland. Specifically in Rockville, NorthWest of DC.
So far, I've bought from Suzanna Farm Nursery.

Comments (4)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Susanna is fine, I've been there a couple times...a little bit expensive but then that's typical of nurseries in the DC-NYC-Boston corridor. They're no Gateway Garden Center, though, in tony Hockessin, Delaware.,,which, as of my one and only visit there in about 2007 was the most breathtakingly expensive nursery I'd ever visited. Maybe the recession changed their outlook slightly but they didn't have a great selection anyhow, so I never went there again. IIRC something like a 3' Crypto 'Black Dragon' in a 3 gallon pot was $89 I think. Waterloo in Exton could also be outrageous which is probably part of the reason they closed. I don't mind supporting a nursery like Rarefind being a bit pricey, because they are going out on a limb to carry many rare (duh) and new varieties that might not find a market. They are also staffed with people who are true experts and deserve and I certainly hope receive a living wage. Rarefind had, for example, a slew of late summer blooming azaleas when I was up there. (not the patented encores, but their own selections) To sell plants like that, you have to have customers in the nursery at that time of year. So, it's a risk. OTOH, when I found some Briggs rhodies at Groff's plant farm for 40% what rarefind charges for them, sure, I felt like I was glad to be getting them for a more reasonable price.

BTW at Susanna quite a few of their trees IIRC are really too big to get into a car. You'd need a pickup or box truck to make the most of a visit.

• wannabegardnr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susanna, thanks, appeared cheaper than Behnkes, and they have a large selection which I liked. But you are right, a lot of what I wanted were too big.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Wannabe, Part of the difficulty is knowing what to buy and when to shop. The places around here are retail outlets....not places of true propagation. Early spring you could have filled all your cars with nice fresh 1,2,and3 gallons you wanted at S Farm. All from reputable growers like Iseli.When you go at the end of Aug. you are not looking at the cream of the crop. Sometimes you luck out...others need to be left alone ,or take your chances. Have you tried Potomac GC?
    These places dont load up at the end of summer because what doesnt sell fast has to be wintered over.
    Also, dont be afraid to try mail order....most of them are good or they wouldnt still be in business.

Al

• wannabegardnr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Al, see, I didn't even know about this place. I went to Susanna because they said in their website that new deliveries are coming, and I called and went the day after the truck arrived. That rootbound Gold Drift was a new arrival. I do think what you said is true, that you need to know what you are getting. Next time, I'll be sure to look at the roots and say no and walk away if the plants are too big. Any other good places you can recommend?

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals