Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longaeva54

Microbiota decussata âFilipâs Pretty Prideâ

longaeva54
11 years ago

Coniferjoy, can you tell us about your new selection.

Comments (13)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Here is all the info you need...

Here is a link that might be useful: Microbiota decussata 'Filip's Pretty Pride'

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Longaeva54, I was very surprised that you knew about my brandnew Microbiota selection, this is I didn't know that the Great Green Plus organization put some info about it on the internet...

Another pic for comparison.
    Left my 'Filip's Pretty Pride', right the species

Here is a link that might be useful: More detailed info

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Looks good. How old is that plant?

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thanks Dax!
    The one at the pic is 4 years old.

There are only a few cultivars of this species, all found as mutatations.
    My 'Filip's Pretty Pride' was found as a seedling.
    O boy, what are these seeds very small!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia info

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Last Wednesday I received a Bronze Medal given by The Dutch Royal Society for Boskoop's Horticulture for this brandnew conifer introduction.
    Of coarse I'm very proud to add this one to my Filip Collection...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Filip Collection

• longaeva54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats for the Bronze Medal.

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Edwin that's great news!!! Did you remember to put one of these in my package?? :) LOL. It looks nice! It's winter color is as the species?

Best regards,
    Fotis

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the congratulations!

Because this thread got only a few responces, I think that this species Microbiota decussata is very underestimated.

Well, let me tell you all that this species is the best one we can use as a groundcover for the following reasons:
    -it grows pretty fast, about 20/30 cm per year.
    -it will cover the ground sooner in comparison with any Juniperus.
    -it is free of diseases and pests in comparison with any Juniperus.
    -it can stand very extreme weather condtions like high temperatures of + 40 degrees Celcius (104 F) till very low temperatures of - 40 degrees celcius (-40 F), because these are the temperatures in it's native habitat in Siberia.
    -it's very dry tolerance.

All together the most perfect ground cover which will have a great future ahead!

My new selection is slower growing then the species so it can be used in smaller gardens and also in planters.

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Is is ready for sale? it looks quit fitting to my enviroment. I can use some beautiful, drought-heat tollerant ground covers. What about winter color?

Fotis

• Cher
    11 years ago

Congratulations Edwin! You know I fell in love with one of the original ones on a standard that dcsteg has. It's gorgeous and I love it and the new one you have also.
    Cher

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Congrats on the bronze medal!
    Big respect for someone who can do something such.

Microbiota is undeservedly little respect. I've sinned - just this summer I bought the first microbiota:) Maybe she is not so bright to see, but looking more closely reveals a lot of nice features. I bought 'Jakobsen' and I am delighted. Wonder that in the past have not discern this beauty. Anxiously looking forward to when your miracle will be available for sale.

Thoroughly studied your Fillip's Collection. Wonderful plants! Both Weeping lawsoniana are brilliant (I am down in tears:), that in my climate lawsoniana does not feel right) .... And Mireille are great .... You are an outstanding master!

Ireena

• botann
    11 years ago

I remember as a young boy in the early 50's crawling under a steep bank planted with Microbiotas at the grade school I attended. They must have been planted in the 1930s. The school building is gone, but I wonder if the Microbiotas are still there. It will be at least a month before I can find out.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Cher and Ireena, I also want to thank you both for the congratulations, much apprechiated!

Fotis, may be I can get you a small one in the upcomming package, you've to wait and see :0)

The winter colour of my 'Filip's Pretty Pride' is as beautiful as the species, a nice copper-red...

Mike, if those were planted in the 1930s, then these must have been one of the first one's which were planted in the U.S.
    This is because it was discovered in 1923...

We both can tell from own experiences that you can better crawl in a bank of Microbiotas then in a bank of Berberis ;0)