Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One of my best buys.

Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 15:20

One of my best buys. I have always considered 'Ogon' a major player in my garden. Always visible from any area of the garden.

Dave

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon'

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One of my best buys.

A stunning photo Dave of a wonderful plant. Certainly one of my favorites(I have five, despite it's potential size), yours looks to have weathered your ridiculous heat like a champ. How tall/old is she Dave?

-Will

o

Dave, beautiful pic, good for promoting conifers in a garden magazine!

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 21:15

Thats a pic from this past spring, right?

o

Will, I think It was planted in 2004 or 05. It was about 8 ft. tall and burned severely that summer. I thought I lost it. It came back strong next year and is now 30 ft. give or take.

whaas, Wrong it was taken today. Date/Time: 2011:09:09 13:15:30. Click on photo and then go to photo info to the right of photo. It gives you all the camera info along with the time. I don't usually re-post old photo's unless there is some specific need to.

Dave

o

Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 22:05

Nice, amazing how it helds its color in this heat. In fact everything in that pic looks quite nice! You made it sound like a deadzone in that yard!

o

It was a dead zone. A lot of bare spots where I have removed expired plants. I lost count after 20.

This photo doesn't reflect that.

My largest one a 12ft. Picea orientalis 'Pendula' was taken out Wednesday and replaced with the 'Green Knight' in the Pinus strobus post. Several others in question . TIme will tell.

Dave

o
RE: Pause in a moment of silence

Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 22:59

Ouch, 20 is quite severe. I'm going to take a moment of silence for your P. orientalis 'Pendula'.

You know you're an enabler right? I wish I pulled the trigger on the Gold Rush plant I came across this past year. I only passed on it as it had a co-dom leader. I'm now eyeing up 'Snow Flurry'. $60 for a full 6' plant. Its either that or keep watching for Gold Rush.

o

Yes, and I'll tell you it 'Ogon' before Edwin does. (:>)

Dave

o

Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 23:41

I should be ok, I didn't use 'this' around Gold Rush, lol.

o

Dave,

Incredible vista!

What is the pine in the front right?

Thanks,
Alex

o

Alex,

Pinus parviflora 'Glauca'.

Dave

o

Nice specimen, Dave. I've got a 1gal coming next week from Girard's. Hoping it's one of my "best buys" as well.

At 30' tall, it's what, 8-10' wide? Looks like a well behaved plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here