Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii Columnaris' lost its growing tip

Posted by MargaretHM 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 15:21

We have two of these tall junipers growing on either side of the entrance to our driveway. They were put in about three years ago and have done beautifully, nearly doubled in size. They're now about 8' tall each. I came back from vacation a few weeks ago to find one of them had lost its growing tip -- looks like it was sheared clean off, maybe in a thunderstorm?

I want the plant to keep growing and -- if at all possible -- to stay evenly matched with its partner across the driveway. There's a small shoot about two inches down from where the tip broke off. Will this become the leader? Should I help it? If wiggled it a bit and -- like most juniper wood -- it's not terribly flexible. I would hate to snap it off, too, by trying to tie it up into a vertical position.

Any advice? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii Columnaris' lost its growing tip

Will this become the leader? YES

Should I help it? NO

in 2 or 3 years.. we will prune out any duplicates ...

i will yell: NOTHING ELSE NEED BE DONE ...

NOTHING!!!!!

ken

ps: AND QUIT WIGGLING IT .. jimminey.. lol ..

o

Thanks! And no more wiggling, I promise. But what do you mean by prune out duplicates? You mean if more than one shoot is going vertical? Thanks again...

o

You mean if more than one shoot is going vertical?

==>> YES!!!

and it is very common on juniper ... [and arbs .... but we arent talking about them ...]

man.. you make it easy ... lol ....

an attorney never asks a question they dont already know the answer to ... i should say.. a good one, anyway .. lol ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here