Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Teaching her young

ricksample
10 years ago

Long time no see... had to take a pass this year on planting conifers. Been busy remodeling the house, chopping down my field and playing with the little one. It was tough... but it worked out for the best. Got to fed up with watering everything weekly that I decided to skip this year, focus on other things, while the ones I do have planted become established. Next year everything planted should be around 2 years in the ground... which means minimal upkeep. Which will be nice since I've spent countless hours each week watering in the drought of 2011 & 2012. On a positive note, I've been getting my spring project together. Can't wait to start ordering and digging in the dirt again!

She's been keeping me busy all summer... 10 months old and just started to crawl and really becoming alert. She loves the outdoors... I love caring her around the beds each night seeing her get exited and pointing at all the plants.

In front of Picea abies 'Gold Drift' - I know I need to stake it properly... the longer stake is laying on the ground, just haven't had a chance to make the switch =) As you can see.... the final acre is cleared off way in the back and is ready for my spring project!

In front of Pinus strobus 'Louie'

She got exited seeing birds

Then she points & makes a "Oooooo" sound as they get closer lol

Comments (10)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

She'll have a special forest to grow up in.How fortunate she
    is and quite the cutey.Doug

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there is no cure for the dwarf infestation .. lol ...

listen to me.. i will yell ... TAKE OFF THE OLD STAKE.. AND PUT THE NEW ONE AWAY ...

trees grow straight to God.. if you quit messing with them ... and when that thing is 20 feet tall in 8 years.. you are not going to see any crookedness....

it grew 1.5 feet last year.. and it isnt done getting established... what more do you want ...

and i am presuming you are staking for straight.. rather than worried it will fall over due to poor planting ... right???

enjoy the heck out of her.. in 14 odd years.. she will be a teenager.. and break your heart.. having no time for you.. in the garden ...

ken

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

adorable!

(the trees, too)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

What an awesome tour! She's a happy little camper. Reminds me of my three daughters!
    BTW...growing any conifers? lol

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Congrats on the new addition to your family! I'm sure you're already wrapped around her finger.

I felt the same way but I was too stubborn and went to town this spring. Drought kicked back in July and August. Went 40 days without a rainfall over 1/8"...good time as always!

We just added to our family too. Another girl...I'll have two to help maintain the yard once I finally get it established!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Good job getting her interested in things many indoor raised children don't notice. And having her in the pics gives a good sense of scale.

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

In a couple more years you will have her planting conifers.
    Here are my helpers.

Frank

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

So this is what is meant by elfin forest.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! =)

Ken - Yeah no cure for that lol

I'm staking Gold Drift for height... I believe this is one of those plants that will wonder or grow over sooner or later. I think a few people on this forum said they staked there's till 10' feet tall then let it go. I put that small stake in place because last year the new growth was growing at a 2:00 angle. I wasn't planning on getting any longer stakes anytime soon so I pulled it back over with the small stake temporarily.

Will - Congrats on the new addition! I definitely needed a break this year from planting. It'll be good next year since only the new arrivals will need care. Luckily so far this year I've only had to pull out the hose and buckets 1 or 2 times... we had a lot of rain June & July. My youngest ones were planted around March 2012... with all the rain this summer they should be established good enough. Plus we've barely broken 80 here... most of the summer it's been mid to upper 70's. Last year we had weeks in the 100's.

Frank - Can't wait!... My neighbors all the time are planting in there garden. They have a small girl & a boy that use there toy shovels & buckets to move dirt. It'll be awesome having teaching her this stuff and spending the day with her out there.

• Cher
    10 years ago

What a cute little girl. She sure is a happy child. Frank yours are too cute too.
    Cher
    PS Oh by the way, things are looking good there. :)