Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Tsuga photo gallery 2011

monkeytreeboy15
12 years ago

Hemlocks of all kinds!

The feathery foliage of hemlocks make it a great conifer to create textural diversity in the garden.

Feel free to post your own heterophylla, canadensis, mertensiana, dumosa, caroliniana, diversifolia, or sieboldii.

A few of mine:

canadensis 'Betty Rose' (I moved her to shade because her light-colored foliage began to burn in the sun.)

mertensiana 'Bump's Blue' (the best blue color I've seen)

mertensiana 'Sherwood Dwarf'

mertensiana 'Elizabeth' I believe she was discovered atop Mt. Rainier...

diversifolia 'Gracilis'

diversifolia 'Loowit' (purchased as a mature specimen!)

dumosa (yunnanensis)

{{gwi:682573}}

canadensis 'Gentsch White' pruning seems to improve the white flushes (denser growth habit creating a more spectacular show in spring and subsequent flushes possible later in the year)

{{gwi:682570}}

Please share yours also!

-Sam

Comments (27)

• severnside
    12 years ago

Remarkable not, but...

Tsuga canadensis 'Fantana'. Ebay 9cm pot special

Tsuga canadensis 'Jedelloh' my first conifer!

The Thuja occidentalis 'Danica' and 'Holmstrup' in the background have been humanely destroyed for being DIY store common...and Thujas, hate!

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool stuff. How did you go about acquiring that 'Jeddeloh', and how old is it?

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsuga canadensis photo gallery 2010

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Tsuga forrestii

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Tsuga caroliniana

• severnside
    12 years ago

It's where it all began. I was beguiled by the name Hemlock, though I now know there's the conifer and the plant lol, but I really wanted one of these when I saw it on a basic garden mail order site last June (my inception). It's never been in shade but will hopefully be in a shade border I'm developing. Then I'll love to see it's tiered birds nest form grow and it's colour maybe settle to a deeper green. As my first there's that extra affection. The story continued with a visit soon after to a private garden having it's annual open day to the public. The - very rich - owners had a passion for conifers and I saw my first blue dwarves. Boom.

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's always great to see pictures of these rare species. Thanks for sharing, blue yew!

That's a cool story you have there, severnside.

Here's another link to last year's gallery--apparently there were two!

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsuga mertensiana photo gallery 2010

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

'Cappy's Choice'

'Coffin' (left) 'Stewarts Gem' (right)

'Moonfrost'

A wee bit of an 'Everitt's Golden'

'Vermeulen Wintergold'

tj

• hostagreencare
    12 years ago

Tsuga canadensis "Woodrose" Two years old and doing well. Both spring and mid summer flush is white.

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

canadensis 'Moonfrost' (apparently takes on a pinkish color in winter.. does anyone have a picture to share?!)

-Sam

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Euan,

Your caroliniana is coming along. Any chance of a full shot!?

Thx,

Dax

• pasadena
    12 years ago

mertensiana on Mt. Baker, WA

Here is a link that might be useful:

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Epic photo Pasadena! :)

Glad to see people creating their own galleries and running with them. I'll contribute some over the following days.

Tsuga mertensiana 'Mt. Arrowsmith'. Despite considerable shade, still a nice soft blue color and very very slow growing. Maybe two inches a year.

mertensiana 'Blue Star'. Edwin said last year that it grows quickly unless it's rooted which will cause it to grow slowly. After three years, I think mine qualifies as 'rooted'. It's VERY slow.

'Gentsch Dwarf Globe'

'Contorta'

'Albospica'

'Mt. Jefferson'

mertensiana 'Blue Cascade'

-Will

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will your 'Blue Cascade' eventually weep? Is that the habit of this cultivar as the name "cascade" suggests, Will?
    Thanks.

A few more recent pics...

canadensis 'Moonfrost'

mertensiana 'Sherwood Dwarf'

diversifolia 'Loowit'

diversifolia 'Gracilis'

-Sam

• ghgwv
    12 years ago

coles prostrate

Gary

• crypper
    12 years ago

Here's a nice use of Tsuga heterophylla 'Thorsen's Weeping.' I like to do this sort of thing in my own garden, but I need to find the head first.

The tree's pretty easy to find, but sometimes it's really hard to find a good head if you need one. :)

~Dave

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

WOW Gary, what a specimen. Luscious.

Sam, the 'Blue Cascade' is an upright form with a more strongly weeping habit.

My earlier posting of Tsuga mertensiana 'Mt. Arrowsmith' came out as the wrong photo. Here is the proper:

mertensiana 'Mt. Arrowsmith'

''Vermeulen Wintergold'

'New Gold'. The effect is more pronounced in the early Summer.

Tsuga heterphlylla `Thorsons Weeper'

'Curly'

'Woodrose'

"Molalla'

'Bennett'

-Will

• sugi
    12 years ago

Anabody know the different between all the dwarf diversifolia or sieboldii? shape on a old age, color...
    What is the best cultivar from Japanese tsuga, 'Gracilis' 'Loowit' 'Yatsubusa' 'Minikim' 'Green Ball' 'Honeywell Estate' and more...?

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Beautiful tread and pics here at this topic!

Gary, that big creeping one isn't a 'Cole' aka 'Cole's Prostrate', it's a 'Prostrata'.
    The true 'Cole' never will grow that high and it's centre is bald so you can see it's old inner branches...

Dave, that 'Thorsen's Weeping' is very funny.
    I've never seen it for using this way, it's a creative way of working with conifers :0)

Will, That 'New Gold' is a new one to me which I like to add to my collection.
    Please change 'Thorson's Weeping' into 'Thorsen's Weeping'.

Julien, I'm also interested in cultivars of the Japanese Tsuga, I think I've to invest some time in these species when I've more time...(that is when I'm retired ;0) )

'Microphylla'
    Fast growing with short needles.
    {{gwi:811168}}

'Minuta'
    The slowest growing Tsuga canadensis cultivar.
    {{gwi:811169}}

'Verkade Recurved'
    Nice curved branches which are very fragile.
    {{gwi:811170}}

• sugi
    12 years ago

Tsuga Diversifolia 'Kogane No Hana'

• ghgwv
    12 years ago

Coniferjoy,
    You are right about my plant not being "Coles". Never knew that untill your comments. I checked pictures on the web and there are specimens that are as you described and plants like mine-both listed as "Coles". I really like the way the true "Coles" look. Now there is another new plant I can get ! (If I can find room)
    Gary

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Couple more...

Tsuga canadensis 'Cloud Prune'

Tsuga canadensis 'Sherwood Compact'

'Mollala'

'Lewis'

'Jervis'

tj

• botann
    12 years ago

Tsuga mertensiana, pruned to keep it small. I have several others that are normal size for their age.
    Mike

{{gwi:811177}}

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Bumping this gallery up as well because I am hoping to see some more Weeping Tsuga beauties.

Tsuga mertensiana, species.

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Dax

Here it is my Tsuga caroliana

• JerryRaack
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, just joined GardenWeb. I've been growing landscape plants in my garden for near 45 years now. But, am branching out even more to some not-so-easy to find conifer's that might grow in partial sun to shade. I just bought a Tsuga mertensiana Elizabeth (about 2' wide). Anyone out there have any experience in successfully growing this in the midwest (I'm in Columbus, Ohio area). Any advice on placement and best conditions in the midwest?
    Thanks!
    Jerry

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Hi Jerry. The word I keep hearing is the summer heat is the biggest enemy. I'd give it afternoon shade in your zone 6.

tj

• JerryRaack
    11 years ago

Thanks for advice tj. I suspect my biggest difference will be the hot humid days of July and August versus the normally cool dry days it would get in its native environment. I've attached the URL of a pic of what it currently looks like in case anyone's interested.
    Anyone else out there growing this plant that has any advice? I suspect this normally grows in full sun; hence, I'm a bit concerned about putting it in too much shade. I'd also like to keep it compact in growth and not let it get too leggy.
    I guess if nothing else, I just make a leap of faith and try it where I want to grow it and see how it does.
    By the way, I tried to include a picture inline here, but it seems the limit is 61K for a picture size, which is really low resolution. How do you all get such good looking pictures included inline and still meet the 61K size? I looked for advice, but the best I came up with was to use something like photobucket (which is what I did here).
    Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: