Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tsuga photo gallery 2011

Posted by monkeytreeboy15 Zone 7b/8a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 15:34

Hemlocks of all kinds!
The feathery foliage of hemlocks make it a great conifer to create textural diversity in the garden.
Feel free to post your own heterophylla, canadensis, mertensiana, dumosa, caroliniana, diversifolia, or sieboldii.

A few of mine:

canadensis 'Betty Rose' (I moved her to shade because her light-colored foliage began to burn in the sun.)
Tsuga canadensis 'Betty Rose'

mertensiana 'Bump's Blue' (the best blue color I've seen)
Tsuga mertensiana 'Bump's Blue'

mertensiana 'Sherwood Dwarf'
Tsuga mertensiana 'Sherwood Dwarf'

mertensiana 'Elizabeth' I believe she was discovered atop Mt. Rainier...
Tsuga mertensiana 'Elizabeth'
Tsuga mertensiana 'Elizabeth'

diversifolia 'Gracilis'
Tsuga diversifolia 'Gracilis'

diversifolia 'Loowit' (purchased as a mature specimen!)
Tsuga diversifolia 'Loowit'

dumosa (yunnanensis)
Tsuga dumosa

canadensis 'Gentsch White' pruning seems to improve the white flushes (denser growth habit creating a more spectacular show in spring and subsequent flushes possible later in the year)
Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White'

Please share yours also!

-Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tsuga photo gallery 2011

Remarkable not, but...

Tsuga canadensis 'Fantana'. Ebay 9cm pot special
Tsuga candensis 'Fantana'

Tsuga canadensis 'Jedelloh' my first conifer!
Tsuga canadensis 'Jedelloh'

The Thuja occidentalis 'Danica' and 'Holmstrup' in the background have been humanely destroyed for being DIY store common...and Thujas, hate!

o

Cool stuff. How did you go about acquiring that 'Jeddeloh', and how old is it?

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsuga canadensis photo gallery 2010

o
RE: Tsuga photo gallery

Tsuga forrestii

Photobucket

o

Tsuga caroliniana

Photobucket

o

It's where it all began. I was beguiled by the name Hemlock, though I now know there's the conifer and the plant lol, but I really wanted one of these when I saw it on a basic garden mail order site last June (my inception). It's never been in shade but will hopefully be in a shade border I'm developing. Then I'll love to see it's tiered birds nest form grow and it's colour maybe settle to a deeper green. As my first there's that extra affection. The story continued with a visit soon after to a private garden having it's annual open day to the public. The - very rich - owners had a passion for conifers and I saw my first blue dwarves. Boom.

o

It's always great to see pictures of these rare species. Thanks for sharing, blue yew!

That's a cool story you have there, severnside.

Here's another link to last year's gallery--apparently there were two!

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsuga mertensiana photo gallery 2010

o

'Cappy's Choice'

Photobucket

'Coffin' (left) 'Stewarts Gem' (right)

Photobucket

'Moonfrost'

Photobucket

A wee bit of an 'Everitt's Golden'

Photobucket

'Vermeulen Wintergold'

Photobucket

tj

o

tsuga canadensis  (woodrose) Tsuga canadensis "Woodrose" Two years old and doing well. Both spring and mid summer flush is white.

o

canadensis 'Moonfrost' (apparently takes on a pinkish color in winter.. does anyone have a picture to share?!)
Tsuga canadensis 'Moonfrost'

-Sam

o

Euan,

Your caroliniana is coming along. Any chance of a full shot!?

Thx,

Dax

o

mertensiana on Mt. Baker, WA

Here is a link that might be useful: Higher quality jpeg

o

Epic photo Pasadena! :)

Glad to see people creating their own galleries and running with them. I'll contribute some over the following days.

Tsuga mertensiana 'Mt. Arrowsmith'. Despite considerable shade, still a nice soft blue color and very very slow growing. Maybe two inches a year.
Photobucket

mertensiana 'Blue Star'. Edwin said last year that it grows quickly unless it's rooted which will cause it to grow slowly. After three years, I think mine qualifies as 'rooted'. It's VERY slow.
Photobucket

'Gentsch Dwarf Globe'
Photobucket

'Contorta'
Photobucket

'Albospica'
Photobucket

'Mt. Jefferson'
Photobucket

mertensiana 'Blue Cascade'
Photobucket

-Will

o

Will your 'Blue Cascade' eventually weep? Is that the habit of this cultivar as the name "cascade" suggests, Will?
Thanks.

A few more recent pics...

canadensis 'Moonfrost'
Tsuga canadensis 'Moonfrost'

mertensiana 'Sherwood Dwarf'
Tsuga mertensiana 'Sherwood Dwarf'

diversifolia 'Loowit'
Tsuga diversifolia 'Loowit'

diversifolia 'Gracilis'
Tsuga diversifolia 'Gracilis'

-Sam

o

coles prostrate
Photobucket
Gary

o

Here's a nice use of Tsuga heterophylla 'Thorsen's Weeping.' I like to do this sort of thing in my own garden, but I need to find the head first.
Photobucket
The tree's pretty easy to find, but sometimes it's really hard to find a good head if you need one. :)

~Dave

o

WOW Gary, what a specimen. Luscious.

Sam, the 'Blue Cascade' is an upright form with a more strongly weeping habit.

My earlier posting of Tsuga mertensiana 'Mt. Arrowsmith' came out as the wrong photo. Here is the proper:

mertensiana 'Mt. Arrowsmith'
Photobucket

''Vermeulen Wintergold'
Photobucket

'New Gold'. The effect is more pronounced in the early Summer.
Photobucket

Tsuga heterphlylla `Thorsons Weeper'
Photobucket

'Curly'
Photobucket

'Woodrose'
Photobucket

"Molalla'
Photobucket

'Bennett'
Photobucket

-Will

o

Anabody know the different between all the dwarf diversifolia or sieboldii? shape on a old age, color...
What is the best cultivar from Japanese tsuga, 'Gracilis' 'Loowit' 'Yatsubusa' 'Minikim' 'Green Ball' 'Honeywell Estate' and more...?

o

Beautiful tread and pics here at this topic!

Gary, that big creeping one isn't a 'Cole' aka 'Cole's Prostrate', it's a 'Prostrata'.
The true 'Cole' never will grow that high and it's centre is bald so you can see it's old inner branches...

Dave, that 'Thorsen's Weeping' is very funny.
I've never seen it for using this way, it's a creative way of working with conifers :0)

Will, That 'New Gold' is a new one to me which I like to add to my collection.
Please change 'Thorson's Weeping' into 'Thorsen's Weeping'.

Julien, I'm also interested in cultivars of the Japanese Tsuga, I think I've to invest some time in these species when I've more time...(that is when I'm retired ;0) )

'Microphylla'
Fast growing with short needles.
Photobucket

'Minuta'
The slowest growing Tsuga canadensis cultivar.
Photobucket

'Verkade Recurved'
Nice curved branches which are very fragile.
Photobucket

o

Tsuga Diversifolia 'Kogane No Hana'
Kogane No Hana

o

Coniferjoy,
You are right about my plant not being "Coles". Never knew that untill your comments. I checked pictures on the web and there are specimens that are as you described and plants like mine-both listed as "Coles". I really like the way the true "Coles" look. Now there is another new plant I can get ! (If I can find room)
Gary

o

Couple more...

Tsuga canadensis 'Cloud Prune'

Photobucket

Tsuga canadensis 'Sherwood Compact'

Photobucket

'Mollala'

Photobucket

'Lewis'

Photobucket

'Jervis'

Photobucket

tj

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 19:41

Tsuga mertensiana, pruned to keep it small. I have several others that are normal size for their age.
Mike

Tsuga mertensiana

o

Bumping this gallery up as well because I am hoping to see some more Weeping Tsuga beauties.

Tsuga mertensiana, species.
Photobucket

o

Dax

Here it is my Tsuga caroliana

Photobucket

o

Hi everyone, just joined GardenWeb. I've been growing landscape plants in my garden for near 45 years now. But, am branching out even more to some not-so-easy to find conifer's that might grow in partial sun to shade. I just bought a Tsuga mertensiana Elizabeth (about 2' wide). Anyone out there have any experience in successfully growing this in the midwest (I'm in Columbus, Ohio area). Any advice on placement and best conditions in the midwest?
Thanks!
Jerry

o

Hi Jerry. The word I keep hearing is the summer heat is the biggest enemy. I'd give it afternoon shade in your zone 6.

tj

o

Thanks for advice tj. I suspect my biggest difference will be the hot humid days of July and August versus the normally cool dry days it would get in its native environment. I've attached the URL of a pic of what it currently looks like in case anyone's interested.
Anyone else out there growing this plant that has any advice? I suspect this normally grows in full sun; hence, I'm a bit concerned about putting it in too much shade. I'd also like to keep it compact in growth and not let it get too leggy.
I guess if nothing else, I just make a leap of faith and try it where I want to grow it and see how it does.
By the way, I tried to include a picture inline here, but it seems the limit is 61K for a picture size, which is really low resolution. How do you all get such good looking pictures included inline and still meet the 61K size? I looked for advice, but the best I came up with was to use something like photobucket (which is what I did here).
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsuga mertensiana Elizabeth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here