Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Quick question regarding Picea pungens R H Montgomery Blue Spruce

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

Hi.

I want to plant this conifer in my yard. It will be my first conifer, and I'm ready to hit the order button, but now I'm wondering if planting it in the fall would prove as successful as planting it in the spring? I live in Western NY.

I see my next door neighbor, who owns a Christmas tree farm, always planting his trees in the spring, but I don't know if that is just his preference.

Should I wait til Spring for planting this tree?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i will make it very simple for you ... now that you are experienced ...

conifers ARE TREES ...

you know all about trees.. dont you???? very high success.. right ..

so what is your question??? .. how to plant another tree..

THE SAME WAY!!!!

so.. for your garden.. in your zone.. in your soil.. with all your experience...

whats YOUR answer ...

we will correct you .. if you are wrong.. but i doubt it ...

well???? tell us the answer

ken

ps: its a ground freeze issue.. does you ground freeze for all of winter???? .. like my MI... or not like z5 KC????

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if our ground completely freezes or not. I know it freezes our lake (not lake erie, it's a private lake) enough to walk across, though I would never do that, others have. So does that mean then our ground freezes too? My husband thinks the ground freezes here because we get so much snow, and it stays on the ground for several months at a time, sometimes.

I just thought Conifers required different, or rather more, care, than the easy breezy trees I've planted.

Someone said on here, last fall, if I remember correctly, you need a 6 weeks of the ground not being frozen for planting in the fall to be successful. I don't know when that happens around here.

I guess I'll just wait til spring when I know I won't have to be concerned. Thanks for responding, Ken.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I just thought Conifers required different, or rather more, care, than the easy breezy trees I've planted.

==>>> NOPE

you need a 6 weeks of the ground not being frozen for planting in the fall to be successful. I don't know when that happens around here.

==
    ok .. here in MI ... this is how it goes down.. you have to be very similar ...

leaves turn color in oct ... when that happens.. trees.. ALL OF THEM.. are dormant above.. needles or not

and that is when you dig them up and move or plant them ....

so my planting window is mid sept.. to mid october.... so if the leaves fall off.. who cares .... in regard to trees ...

this is s good time.. with warmish days.. and cool nights.. the soil stay warmish.. allowing the roots to get reset...

thru november.. we continue to insure moisture... as the days and nights get cold... not that they need much.. just make sure the soil doesnt dry out .... late in fall ...

here in MI.. ground freeze is anywhere between mid dec.. and mid jan .... last year.. right around the first of the year ...

if you do the math from 10/1 to 1/1 .... that is precisely 90 days...

then.. ground freeze may as well be suspended animation ... and you are all set for the ground to start thawing around mid march thru 4//1 .... and your tree i sitting there ... already to go ...

MAYBE a call to your extension office.. will get someone.. based on this story.. to agree for your county .... or adjust such ...

the best thing that can happen is full sun cover.. so winter winds dont dry out the soil .... but you know al about mulching.. so that ought to be good..

and finally.. YOU ARE WELCOME ...

the only warning i have.. is not to buy bigboxstore carp .... that has been sitting there all summer.... if they have new fresh stock.. pungens ought to be rather bulletproof for you ... but if you buy bargain... death is possible ....

ken

ps: rereading the top quote.. the only difference.. is that most trees are deciduous.. and with most conifers.. you worry about needle retention ... and winter winds drying them .. but worse case.. i had a couple pines.. lose every single needle.. only to bud out and releaf in spring.. and never look back.. because i took care of the roots ....