Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

'Chief Joseph' on the move

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

I just noticed today it is beginning its transition to winter color. It begins it color change from the needle tip and works in to branch attachment.

Pretty much right on schedule even though spring was 3 weeks late this year.

I should add that this cultivar receives no direct sun beginning around October 1. Then beginning around April 1 morning sun. Full sun late April through late September.

Dave

Foliage 9/18/13.

9/18/13

Photo from 9/27/12

{{gwi:727876}}

All in by 12/8/12.

Comments (13)

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

With your permission, I'll add my large specimen to this gallery Dave and we can mark the differences(if any) between our climates with the Chief.

-Will

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will,

Go for it.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Dave, do you notice if the needles on your plant are more green or towards the aqua side?

I think I have an imposter in my garden and trying to guage the close up of the needles you show in pic 1.

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whaas,

Green all the way.

Post a close up of the foliage of yours and we will take a look.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

My bad...

Great photos!

This post was edited by whaas on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:06

• miclino
    10 years ago

Great pic. Have one of my own on the way, should be here tomorrow. Now if I can just keep it alive.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

One of the best, but unfortunately it was the very first conifer I purchased when I started collecting back in 2011. Only if I knew what I know now about this plant, mine may have had a different outcome. Perhaps I'll give it a try again some day after my shade trees grow larger.

• Skeena
    10 years ago

I've only four cultivars of pine that turn gold in the winter, but of the bunch it seems 'Chief Joseph' is the first to begin the color change. Mine is younger and not as nice as yours. If you check in on this post, I'd like to ask if you usually remove the dead needles? It's something I do with all my "premium" conifers to make them look their best.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whaas..you removed your photo.

Will...you didn't post yours.

Skeena..Of course I do clean up on my dead pine needles.

In time they will be removed. I usually remove them late fall so I only have to do one cleaning a year. This cultivar does not have a congestive interior and most fall through to the ground so it is not on my high priority list right now.

Dave

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

It takes repeated frosts to begin changing my 'Wates Golden' VA pine.

• Skeena
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply Dave. In the pictures I've seen of your garden, it does look meticulously cleaned. Tree photography is a fairly tough skill to learn, and one way I cheat is to clean out dead needles prior.

At my friend's nursery there was a 7 foot Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph' which passed away last year. This a rare cultivar to find here in British Columbia, so I'm fortunate to have talked him into letting me have a liner plant.

Yours has perfect form, and reminds me of the photo displayed on the Iselii site.

Tim.

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Sorry, I'm overlate to the party...

My chief, Middle of October. About halfway gold.

-Will

• miclino
    10 years ago

That looks fantastic. How old is that specimen? What kind of growth rate do you get?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus