Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Few New Plantings

Posted by gardener365 IL 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 15:41

Not many, enjoy though. Dax

Pinus mugo 'Carl Fricard' near the drive. I forgot about this guy the last time I posted.
Pinus mugo 'Carl Fricard'

Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony' looking into the sun
Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony'

Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony' sun behind
Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony'

(Fagus x moesiaca x F.sylvatica 'Atropurpurea') 'Prince of Darkness' My good friend Guy Sternberg is the breeder of this beech. It contains the hardiness of Asian beech x European beech. Spring is deep purple as well as into mid-summer then it reverts green. Plant is upright and twisting & pendulous:
(Fagus x moesiaca x Fagus sylvatica 'Atropurpurea') 'Prince of Darkness'

Picea abies 'Golden Beskid'
Picea abies 'Golden Beskid'

Picea engelmanniii 'Warrior'
Picea engelmannii 'Warrior'

Abies concolor 'Bedon' - like 'Winter Gold' but better I was told.
Abies concolor 'Bedon'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Few New Plantings

Very special specimens, I have a feel for your place now from the pictures you post. Always atmospheric.

o

Thanks severside, I appreciate the compliment. I'm a serious collector, indeed. Been at this going on 11 years. Started as a spectator.

Dax

o

I just love the images you folks share. Thank you for posting! :) It makes me wish I had a larger yard. 1/4th an acre just isn't large enough! I cannot wait till we move to the farm, then I'll have acres and acres to play with. :D Once hubby retires from the military in 8 yrs I'll be able to dive right in!

~Tina

o

I plan on sipping a drink with you in the shade of 'MPH Mamut Torony' in about 30 years. Look forward to getting your way soon
Keith

o

You've got my excited Dax! Love the engelmannii. Like Tiny, I wish I had more space, not much mind you because 10 acres or something would be so hard to maintain, but like a half acre more, I would be thrilled. I look forward to some plant exchanges. I gathered the cone flower 'Hot Pupaya' and a handful of others, bagged 'em up and should have that, those two golden seedlings and my collection DVD headed out Monday.

-Will

o

Thanks, Dax!
They're lookin' sweet!

Josh

o

You guys are so cool you're rocking my drink this morning!

Proudly,

Dax

o

Beautiful. Torony looks is shaped like a cross right now. :) I like that Warrior really well too.
Cher

o

The grafting chamber is treating me well Cher :)

Dax

o

The 'Golden Beskid' looks good, will be interesting to see how it does over the next year.

o

Nater, I'm getting stoked on grafting again. My blood is bubbling. How bout you'?

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here