Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Rock, drirt, sweat and money.

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

These two islands were created in 2002 with the thought I could combine them when some of my conifers became to big. My Picea a. 'St. Mary's Broom', Pinus m. 'Zundert', Picea o. Aureospicata', Cryptomeria j. 'Tansu' and Pinus s. 'Horsford' had maxed after 10 years and reconfiguration was necessary to keep them.

I could not put this off any longer, I decided to give it a go combining the two islands with a dry creek bed.

I finished the rough-in yesterday with the thought of finishing next spring with the addition of some special cultivars bigger pond pebbles, ground covers and whatever else it takes to make the design work.

So let's began.

These first three photos are several years old.

East end looking west.
{{gwi:811371}}

West end looking east.
{{gwi:811372}}

Looking down on west end to be reconfigured.
{{gwi:811375}}

Bricks laid on the ground to determine where sod cuts need to be made on west end. I use a sod cutter. This makes for easy cutting and removal.

{{gwi:811378}}

Same for east end.
{{gwi:811380}}

Bricks laid in mortar mix for both west and east new configurations.
{{gwi:811382}}
{{gwi:811384}}

A rough drawing for keeping bricks anchored with mortar

Now with only one accessible entrance to the house I needed to extend the walkway. With pavers in hand I put this puzzle together.
{{gwi:811386}}

With everything leveled to a sand underlay and pea gravel filling ...the finished walkway.
{{gwi:811387}}

A down shot from second story.
{{gwi:811388}}

All that remained was removing the rest of the sod and trenching out for the dry creek bed. To emphasize the bed a few rocks and boulders were recessed into the ground.

A few photos.
{{gwi:811389}}
{{gwi:811390}}

A few photos of completed work up to now. I did move a few plants now that there was room for better balance. More will be added next spring.
{{gwi:811391}}
{{gwi:811392}}
{{gwi:811393}}

East side of new configuration. A little sparse . I will fix that this spring.{{gwi:811394}}

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 10:40

Comments (28)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice work Dave!
    The less grass, the better! :0)

• Lily777
    10 years ago

Wow...who needs grass anyways, when you have conifers that beautiful?

• miclino
    10 years ago

Looking great! Now to figure out what you have!

Second picture bottom left, what is that low mounded variegated conifer?

Third picture what is the tall silver grey tree with black trunk?

• harv2016
    10 years ago

Insipring!, makes me want to get off my lazy keester and get to work. Way to much grass left on my place.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

artistry!

I could enjoy an hour or two meandering those paths.

~Dave

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Always amazing to see what you can grow in what I would consider is a fairly hot area. Wonderful!

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Amazing overall presentation, really the equivalent of a Rembrandt. A masterpiece garden.

-Will

• Cher
    10 years ago

Massive amount of work but it looks stunning. Love what you've done there and it really enhances all the plants already there let alone allowing for some more.
    Cher

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Dave: Do you have any tips from your installation of gravel that keeps it in place during/after heavy downpours?

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

I agree...your artistry is inspiring. It's really interesting to observe the evolution of your garden as it becomes even more tipped towards conifer/rock garden (and less grass). The stone that makes up the bulk of the dry creek...what type of stone do you use (size and name etc.) - it really adds a nice touch.

Can't wait to see how it looks fully planted out next spring.

Alex

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Nice job, Dave.

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Im not a bit surprised......always first class! Hows your back Dave?
    You make it look easy,but that takes alot of planning, hardwork and talent......Well done!!!

Al

• jinxz5
    10 years ago

Really nice Dave. I know how much work it takes to make it look that good. I have materials for a new wall that I've been puting off for a couple of years. Maybe you have inspired me. Thank you for the tour. Jay

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

miclino "Second picture bottom left, what is that low mounded variegated conifer"? Pinus mugo 'Zundert'

"Third picture what is the tall silver grey tree with black trunk"?
    Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Horstmann'. Staked for height. If not they can wander all over the place.

baxz5oh. The grade is only 2-3% so keeping it in place is not a problem. I do walk it into the ground after heavy watering to seat it. After that never any concerns.

maple_grove ..I start out with pea gravel for the base. Pond pebbles are next to emphasize stream flow of main channel. Larger pond rocks which I haven't added yet will complete the dry stream bed.

alley_cat. Aka Al. The back is OK after a good night sleep. Enjoying a garden that displays many beautiful conifer cultivars of color is one of the things I do that is key to my happiness and longevity. The brain is busy to make this garden better and the other parts follow to make it happen.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 6:55

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One I came across today and thought a good fit where I need additional dwarf conifers.

Dave

Cedrus deodar 'Raywood's Prostrate Dwarf'. A ground huger with a asymmetrical, mounded form.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Looks great Dave! Looked great before, but looks much better after

• miclino
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. Great pics

• mary_max
    10 years ago

My goodness! What a beautiful garden. All I can say is WOW! It is just amazing what you have done.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Especially like the flagstone on gravel walkway in the shady area...just very rich looking and nicely done.That 'Zundert'is
    nice sized ....one of my favorites.You should be proud of this very personalized looking garden.Doug

• miclino
    10 years ago

Last question I promise! In the second picture, what is the tall conifer in the front center of the bed (not the taller one in the back but the one in front)? Did it naturally grow into the narrow shape or was it "encouraged" to do so?

This post was edited by miclino on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 8:57

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for your high five's. All my resources to put this garden together involves a thought process. Many do overs in the mind before I make them a reality. I suppose because I have no formal training or education applied to anything you see here. If I think it's right then, and only then, will I share with you. Constructive criticism and anybody's second thoughts as to why I did it that way are always welcome.

'Zundert', One of the best golden mugo's on the market. A 1 gal. purchase in 2001. Now it is 40" wide and 30" tall. A winter time stand out. If you are becomming a serious gardener, you will, you should consider this one. Zone compatibility 2-7. Full sun with a growth rate of 2-4" a year. Bullet proof with never any issues.

10-24-12 of last year. {{gwi:811397}}

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 3:00

• Skeena
    10 years ago

Your choice of material plant wise and in hard scape items is top notch - As well as the ability to arrange them in the most pleasing way. I too must give you a high five for the wonderful garden pix.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

miclino

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' . It was shaped that way but had to remove it eventually. A real strong grower once it acclimates so give it some room.

3rd photo down it is not there.

Dave

• miclino
    10 years ago

Thanks, room is something I am lacking though so will have to pass on that one.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

" 'Zundert', a selection from Oregon by Bob Ticknor".
    Not true, it's a Dutch seedling selection found by André van Nijnatten from Zundert, which is his home town...

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin,

True, my information source was incorrect. My apologies

Dave

• ttonk
    10 years ago

Wow nice. great pics.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    10 years ago

Dave,

Looks FANTASTIC! I dream of some day having something similar, though I'm not sure that will happen in this lifetime. For now I'll remain quite content with my nice, smaller but growing, collection of container conifers.

I'm not much of a fan of the smaller miniatures, however your mix of varying sizes, colors, textures is quite stunning! Were I to do any beds, I would likely do something similar to what you have done. Much applause to you! Great job!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner