Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferophytus

Pilgerodendron uviferum

coniferophytus
16 years ago

I just got a new Pilgerodendron uviferum. Cold hardiness information found on the internet ranges from Zone 6 to Zone 7 to "hardy to -20°C". Does anyone have more reliable information or first hand experience with it? Will it be OK in my Zone 6a in PA?

Comments (6)

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Wow another new genus! I had to look it up,and found its a monotypic genus in the Cypress family and related to Libocedrus with distinctive square profiles to its branches making it look somewhat like a giant heather! What an interesting conifer!

• torreya-2006
    16 years ago

Yes it should be ok in Z6 with some shelter

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree; -20°C can occur in a severe winter around the zone 8/7 boundary; a bad winter in zone 6 could hit closer to -28 to -30°C, and it won't survive that.

Probably even more important is summer conditions - where Pilgerodendron occurs, summers are cool, and wet; it can't cope with drought or heat at all. Parts of its native range get over 350 rainy days per year . . . or about one dry day per month. Anything above about 20 to 23°C is going to be too hot for it. Even in Britain, successful long-term cultivation is limited to the oceanic west/northwest, it doesn't last very long in the warm dry southeast.

Resin

• davevallejo
    16 years ago

I have tried repeatedly to grow this species. It is exceptionally susceptible to Phytophthora, hence its intolerance of high temperatures, even when grown on the dryish side. Fitzroya cupresoides is similar in this aspect, and originates from comparable geographic areas in Chile. Can't recall if the two species actually occur together, but in any case the end result is the same.

I am attempting to try this species again, using bio-controls for the root problem, to see if these species can do better if root diseases are under control. I have had also some success with Fosphite (can't recall the spelling ATM), in combination with microbial innoculants.

But without question, it is a struggle to grow certain cool-growing taxa from the Southern Hemisphere in hot areas.

• coniferophytus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I am up for the challenge. I can certainly give it all the water it wants. If Pilgerodendron can cope with the summer heat of a zone as high as 8 in its native range, it might also be able to cope with the heat in my cooler zone 6. On the other end of the temperature scale, hardiness to -20°C is quit workable. We didn't reach lows like that even in last year's record cold winter. We should be OK for quite a few years in this respect. I don't expect it to grow into a tree, it will probably remain just a shrub here. But I put it in its own little boggy, deep, humus rich soil location. Never had a Phytophthora problem here. We will see, I will have a progress report in about a year...

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Best way to give it the water it needs would be to set up a mist sprayer above it, and spray it all time the weather is hot and dry

Resin