Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reproducing Thuja with branch

Posted by ralph_d 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 16:55

I now understand that all Thuja are monoecious. I read that the steeplechase (for example) was reproduced from the brance of a Thuja. I also read that each branch of the thuja will either bear fruit or produce pollen. If that is true, would the branch reproduction be considered a male clone or female clone? Thanks for any help with this subject and terminology. My initial interest was related purely to my privacy screen selection (post on tree forum). Now I am just curious about this entire subject.

Ralph D.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reproducing Thuja with branch

hmmmmm ... glad you found the conifer forum ...

its hard to debate .. 'things you read' ... w/o links or references ....

a rooting of a given tree .... is that tree .. what i call a clone ...

i was not aware.. that certain branches on a given tree are male vs female ... though i am not a tree/conifer scientist ... can you link us to this info????

if in fact.. you have a clone.. then you have the mother plant ... it is or should not be any different than the mother plant ...

if in fact it is different .. then it should not be sold under the same name ..

if your theory were correct.. then one would suspect.. that said clones .. well the males ones .. would never cone ... having no female parts ...

i dont know ... lol

i await the scientists answers ...
ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here