Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Camellia Forest- new arrivals

fairfield8619
11 years ago

Just unpacked these. CF has some interesting things other than camellias. Taiwania, Torreya nucifera 'Snowcap', and yes!, that's a Noble fir on firma. Who would have thought that?! This ought to be interesting. The fir fetish continues. Never had a problem with anything from them. Really wanted a A. homeolepsis but they pulled it- roots were not developed enough.

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The one in the middle is having a problem. The Taiwania might do well there, I suppose. Ones around here are fairly blue in color.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What reason would the Taiwania not do well- I thought it was pretty close climate wise. I'm suprised it does well there where it's cool in summer. They seem to grow well in FL. Yea the Torreya looks a little burned maybe and some white residue- hard water I guess.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

That Torreya is something special!
    You must show us a picture of its white new growth in spring!

-Sam

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Were those hardiness chains rattling that I heard? There's a 35' Taiwania at the solidly zn 7b NCSU arboretum. I don't remember that one, but I do remember a smaller one with the prickly foliage.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

No injury at 2F...good ole JCR, he kept such good records of things.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/publications/newsletters/ncsu_arboretum_newsletters/News26_95-10.html

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

There's even a Taiwania at Leu Gardens in Orlando...if it can take central Florida humidity, it can take humidity anywhere else in the SE.
    Overall probably an excellent conifer for the SE, though hard to market when young because of the scary sharp foliage. Looks like Cryptomeria at first, but you immediately realize it isn't if you dare touch one. Yours may not be like that yet fairfield...monkey puzzles are kind of softies until they get about 1 meter high. Not sure if Camforest's Taiwania was cutting or seed grown. Speaking if which if you don't have one yet, you must get a Parana Pine.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have Parana Pine planted already from Yucco Do and I think 6 seedlings from seeds I ordered from B & T and Chileflora. Pretty neat and pretty nasty! Thought it would be slow but it actually grew quite a bit since July.

• abciximab
    11 years ago

Taiwania cryptomerioides growing at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, North Carolina

• abciximab
    11 years ago

If I recall correctly, the Taiwania cryptomerioides growing at JC Raulston Arboretum is planted in a protected site nestled up against a tall mixed border. The border runs north/south leaving only the eastern side of the tree exposed.

Patrick

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

According their records system, they have 3 of varying sizes (NCSU). The largest is listed at 35' so I don't think it is this one. Agree they are probably only hardy to about 0F as their distribution is rather southerly in China, and therefore should only be considered a zn 7b/8 tree. There notably is not one at Longwood, and it's the kind of thing they would have if they could. Longwood doesn't allow plants to look bad in the public areas, so they don't tolerate things that show winter damage.

Fairfield, your Parana will start growing very, very fast. It's a shame they aren't a little hardier because they would be so much better than monkey puzzle in the mid-Atlantic. Here's a tree that was a sown in 2000, in 2011. Not bad for 11 years, the first 3-4 were in pots too.
    {{gwi:486755}}

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Maybe I will ditch the attempts at the firs and plant these instead! Araucaria forest in Louisiana- who wudda thunk! This is only an acre but I can see myself filling it up already. I tend to cram things in willy nilly- just where am I going to put the Kiwis and grapes and tomatoes? Oy Vey! Oh, I forgot the Franklania, Gordonia, Gordlina, Schima- the empty lot next door is starting to look very nice right now.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County