Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Possibly my best haul

whaas_5a
11 years ago

I'll try to get more pics of these along with my Conifer Kingdom, Coenosium and Dan's Dwarf Conifers.

In the meantime lets take a look here. No doubt I'm very impatient and have high standards so when I come across a nursery that offers value and primo plants, credit is due where given.

Might be tough to tell from a single photo but this is by far my best mail order haul. Takes the sting out of all those plants I've lost this season.

Courtesy of Western Evergreen.

{{gwi:321948}}

Comments (13)

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Even though "garden conifers" are not my main impetus for being here, that looks really nice Whaas. I wish you much better luck this time around, partly because that more or less means I'll be getting some rain too!

+oM

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, we're looking at a 70% chance of t-storms on Monday. Not holding by breath but its something!

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

How about some on the pretty gems?

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Looks great Will.... where are you putting all these conifers? I have about 50 Conifers on 1.5 acres and I'm out of room lol... next year I'm only planting ground coverning plants to fill in between the spaces until the conifers get large enough. Be sure to post some yard shots after they're all planted, haven't seen many of those lately around the forums.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Looks like some great choices. They also look nice and healthy so hopefully the roots don't give you any fits. I'd love to see where you plant them all out at also.
    Cher

• severnside
    11 years ago

You certainly struck a rich seam there Whaas. All looking good and healthy.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

It seems I left a word out on my previous post. I was trying to ask about ID, and meant to say "how about some names..." Sorry 'bout that.

When will you plant them? If I remember correctly, last year you overwintered your plants in the garage and planted in early (too early?) spring. Are you going to plant now to realize the added establishment time before next summer hits?

Alex

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

That is one beautiful picture. Shipping must have been killer.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Cmon Wass....Out with the list! Sweet looking stuff!

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice selection! I like the different colors.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Definitely a great order.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice array of color, shape and texture.

tj

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All, thanks for the comments. Jason surely gets the credit at this point.

I'll be sure to share pics in the gallery. Perhaps I can get a fall update on the plan. Althought it looks so crappy out there with all the dead grass and sad decidious plants.

Rick,
    I have things planted somewhat tight. Everything is on a 5-30 year plan. Its all based on how primo the plant is and its current size. I'm too impatient to take a 2' plant and give it 30 year spacing. I'll have to let go of a few and I know mother nature will continue to take as well. Its all about having a balanced portfolio of plants to fill in the blanks when needed.

Alex,
    I planted them all yesterday. I'm suffering today after a concert Friday, Badger game Saturday and 23 plantings on Sunday. Oh and I had to water again because mother nature is a witch x100. Little annoyed that its forecasted to be 32 tomorrow night. Again mother nature is a witch x100.

Matt,
    Shipping is killer but divide it out and you average $4.78 per plant. Add that to 3 year plants that cost $13-$25 and you're ahead of the game. Eitherway a bill like that comes with sacrifice and budgeting.

Sorry, I know it doesn't do much but here are the names in no particular order. Just a good group of strong plants that fit my design.

Abies concolor 'Winter Gold'
    Abies koreana 'Silber Mavers'
    Abies lasiocarpa 'Glauca Compacta'
    Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader'
    Abies procera 'Danish Column'
    Abies procera 'Glauca Prostrata'
    Larix gmelini 'Romberg Park'
    Larix laricina 'Newport Beauty'
    Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'
    Picea glauca 'Blue Teardrop'
    Picea omorika 'Aurea'
    Picea pungens 'Wisconsin Cream'
    Pinus parviflora 'Aoi'
    Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag'
    Pinus strobus 'Mini Twists'
    Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls'
    Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin'
    Pinus monticola 'Nana'
    Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'
    Pinus parviflora 'Tenysu-kazu'
    Pinus parviflora 'Ogon-janome'
    Pinus parviflora 'Azumu'

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!