Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 years of Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'

Posted by fotisr 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 17:43

Filling in for Will, but unfortunately I can only show 3 years of growth instead of 4... (actually it is 2 years of growth but I can still show the image at the time of purchase).

October 2010
October 2010

September 2011
September 2011

September 2012
Septmber 2012

The strong leader with multiple buds shows me that maybe this plant is established by now....?

I really can't find any reason why anyone should discard this plant from his/her garden. Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta' is a beautiful tree that fits everywhere for years, has an amazing color and can withstand full blazing sun at a dry zone 8.

Best regards,
Fotis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 years of Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'

Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta' is a beautiful tree that fits everywhere for years, has an amazing color

I was looking at mine today thinking just the same thing.

o

I know, right? Do you have it in the ground or is it still potted? Any image of yours?

o

Still potted, but it's due to go in the ground soon. I'll get a pic tommorow.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 22:23

has an amazing color and can withstand full blazing sun at a dry zone 8

Although I'm only a zone 5, this little guy is the best looking fir I have. Still looks good after spending 12 hours a day in full sun during the hottest summer my area has ever seen.

o

Fotisr, You guys just made that one jump on my must have list. Great job on the time lapse fotos...that last foto is a beauty!

~AL

o

What a wonderful picture and plant! Since I have a small garden, this would be a wonderful choice. I now will not rest until get this miracle for my collection ..:)

Ireena

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 11:32

If you have a onezy, twozy order this is a great place to get a nice sized specimen.

Here is a link that might be useful: ALC

o

Al, thank you. This tree is more beautiful up close than it is from any photo. Buying it is something you will not regret!

Ireena, I was thinking your gardern when I wrote that it fits in any garden. I imagined this blue color above your dark garden soil. Good call adding it to your collection!

Will you must have an older specimen. Any image of yours?

Fotis

o

Here's mine Fotis, the leader was staked after it had been distorted by the over dense top growth. I also removed a few top branches that were going to lead to more congestion.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'
Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'

o

Nice! It looks about the same age. I like the double staking to straighten up the leader.
If it is established in this large pot I think it is ready to go free range once in the ground, considering the rains you have up there.
I believe it will become even bluer once it finds Mg in your soil!
Best regards,
Fotis

o

Just arrived from DANSDWARFCONIFERS, coast to coast with no bumps or bruises. Nice folks to deal with...good prices,plants and super packing.

Abies Lasiocarpa var Arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'
Picea Engelmanni 'Compacta'
DSC00847(1

o

Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 19:28

Nice additions! Although they are somewhat common, no garden should go without either one.

o

Al, you bought some very nice plants!
Please change Picea engelmannii 'Compacta' into 'Compact'.
It's a Dutch seedling selection, found by Leen Konijn...

o

its a gorgeous plant.. here is mine .. about 10 years old

ken

Photobucket

o

Ken, your tree is something to look up on! So I have 6-7 years to get there! Great!

Al, you got a very nice plant which will transform in a much nicer plant in June! It's going to be even fuller and blue-r very soon! I'm also waiting for a Picea engelmannii 'Compact' soon. I blame Clement for that! :)

Best regards,
Fotis

o

Well, it looks to me as if the US grafts so a more fastigiate form than EU ones. My image and Severn's are quite defferent from Ken's and Al's. Maybe it's my idea...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here