Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

3 years of Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'

fotisr
11 years ago

Filling in for Will, but unfortunately I can only show 3 years of growth instead of 4... (actually it is 2 years of growth but I can still show the image at the time of purchase).

October 2010

September 2011

September 2012

The strong leader with multiple buds shows me that maybe this plant is established by now....?

I really can't find any reason why anyone should discard this plant from his/her garden. Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta' is a beautiful tree that fits everywhere for years, has an amazing color and can withstand full blazing sun at a dry zone 8.

Best regards,

Fotis

Comments (16)

• severnside
    11 years ago

Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta' is a beautiful tree that fits everywhere for years, has an amazing color

I was looking at mine today thinking just the same thing.

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, right? Do you have it in the ground or is it still potted? Any image of yours?

• severnside
    11 years ago

Still potted, but it's due to go in the ground soon. I'll get a pic tommorow.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

has an amazing color and can withstand full blazing sun at a dry zone 8

Although I'm only a zone 5, this little guy is the best looking fir I have. Still looks good after spending 12 hours a day in full sun during the hottest summer my area has ever seen.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Fotisr, You guys just made that one jump on my must have list. Great job on the time lapse fotos...that last foto is a beauty!

~AL

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

What a wonderful picture and plant! Since I have a small garden, this would be a wonderful choice. I now will not rest until get this miracle for my collection ..:)

Ireena

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

If you have a onezy, twozy order this is a great place to get a nice sized specimen.

Here is a link that might be useful: ALC

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al, thank you. This tree is more beautiful up close than it is from any photo. Buying it is something you will not regret!

Ireena, I was thinking your gardern when I wrote that it fits in any garden. I imagined this blue color above your dark garden soil. Good call adding it to your collection!

Will you must have an older specimen. Any image of yours?

Fotis

• severnside
    11 years ago

Here's mine Fotis, the leader was staked after it had been distorted by the over dense top growth. I also removed a few top branches that were going to lead to more congestion.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice! It looks about the same age. I like the double staking to straighten up the leader.
    If it is established in this large pot I think it is ready to go free range once in the ground, considering the rains you have up there.
    I believe it will become even bluer once it finds Mg in your soil!
    Best regards,
    Fotis

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Just arrived from DANSDWARFCONIFERS, coast to coast with no bumps or bruises. Nice folks to deal with...good prices,plants and super packing.

Abies Lasiocarpa var Arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'
    Picea Engelmanni 'Compacta'
    DSC00847(1

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nice additions! Although they are somewhat common, no garden should go without either one.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Al, you bought some very nice plants!
    Please change Picea engelmannii 'Compacta' into 'Compact'.
    It's a Dutch seedling selection, found by Leen Konijn...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its a gorgeous plant.. here is mine .. about 10 years old

ken

{{gwi:701864}}

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, your tree is something to look up on! So I have 6-7 years to get there! Great!

Al, you got a very nice plant which will transform in a much nicer plant in June! It's going to be even fuller and blue-r very soon! I'm also waiting for a Picea engelmannii 'Compact' soon. I blame Clement for that! :)

Best regards,
    Fotis

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it looks to me as if the US grafts so a more fastigiate form than EU ones. My image and Severn's are quite defferent from Ken's and Al's. Maybe it's my idea...