Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

3 years of Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'

fotisr
11 years ago

In these 2,5 years I've fallen in love with Picea sitchensis. Unfortunately I only own 'Papoose' but I'm trying to get my hands into more cultivars My garden is an appropriate zone but completely inappropriate in rain and moisture. Especially 2012 where even in May the garden was dry like the end of July. But it copped well. So here it is.

November 2010

April 2012 (bud break after 2011's stanted growth)

September 2012 while it fills up, I come to love it more and more...)

Another 'must have'...

Best regards,

Fotis

Comments (11)

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice plant, Fotis. It seems to have put on a good bit of growth this year. I see why you consider this cultivar a must have.

I really like the "3 years of..." threads, thanks for sharing photos.

Alex

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex. Yes it seems to be establishing well. I can't wait until it takes it's globose form with several leaders going all over the place. Maybe you should consider placing one in your new bed!

Best regards,
    Fotis

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Let's add to this gallery, I think Mr. Fotis would approve.

This specimen was a bit rootbound in a huge 20 gallon pot at a local, but somewhat neglected nursery. It was inexpensive, especially for the size and has flourished in part shade in my back gardens. This five year gallery does a pretty good job of showing how diverse this(and other) conifers can be during the various seasons. It was probably 10-12 years old when planted in 2008.

2008 - Quite compact from being pot-bound.

2009 - Crisp Winter colors.

2010 - The brand new Spring growth is awesome, little colorful bulbs of new life.

2011 - Hardening off in late Summer.

2012 - Today, still in it's same place, about 10 inches(25 cm) taller in five years), and slightly less to the sides.

-Will

• severnside
    11 years ago

My two are still unassuming babies but your older specimens are a great indication of their future forms.

'Papoose' is such a special plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

mine.. from 2002 ... pic from last week ... the one on the left margin ...

its not supposed to be zone appropriate.... in my garden.. whats that all about ....

ken

{{gwi:814944}}

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Thumbs up! They all look great.
    I think I'll graft Sitka to Picea abies one of these years to grow the species here.

Thanks for the effort guys.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Dax, it would be great if you could grow Sitkas! I think Bob Fincham grafts sitchensis to pungens.

Ken, what is the variegated pine next to the walkway?
    Thanks!

-Sam

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful Will! Nice to see 5 years of this awesome plant! I recall one image of you standing next to a monster 'Papoose' 4-5 feet tall!

Ken yours has a perfect shape! What's that Picea glauca on the right? 'Liliput'?

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

You're right Fotis, that was at the home of a collectors in Washington state, but here's the biggest one I've seen, at Iseli nursery in Oregon. It's about 6-7 feet tall and the giant cedrus behind it I think is 'Silver Mist' - which is staggering considering it grows 4-6 inches a year.

-Will

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the glauca is a witches broom seedling with no name ...

sam ... Pinus contorta 'Mt. Hood Marble'

tom thumb is just above the WB ...

tani gets no yuki is there..

and that piece of carp golden sands ...

among a few others i am too lazy to note ...

ken

• tunilla
    11 years ago

And here's a picture of mine...
    A few twigs got singed last summer when it got really hot in august,but other than that,this looks like a pretty tough little spruce. Strangely enough,we rarely-if ever- see any pictures of the supposed look-alike 'Tenas'

T.