Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bzamost_gw

Question regarding site selection for Picea orientalis "Skylands"

bzamost
9 years ago

I recently purchased my house and am in the process of designing a landscape for the front yard. I will be cutting down the Acer � freemanii 'Jeffersred' Autumn Blaze, and would like to plant a Picea orientalis "Skylands" in the vicinity of that Acer as well as a yet undetermined tall narrow green conifer to the right (north) of it. The only "shelter" from wind is a row of 3 mature conifers to the north on the other side of the driveway that are all the same as the one next to the house. I am in the suburbs of Chicago, and the area I would like to utilize is in full sun. With proper shading installed for the first few years while it is getting established, would a Picea orientalis "Skylands" be appropriate for my proposed area? Could salt in winter present a problem, or is the proposed site far enough away from the driveway?

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i have killed about 5 of them in my MI ...

its a real hit or miss proposition.. i do not recommend going large on the transplant ...

i might also suggest an alternative.. like the yellow dawn redwood ... ogon .. gold rush.. whatever its name is now ....

much more yellow.. though deciduous ...

see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

I am not sure I have a handle as to where you want to place it.

Are you removing the tree close to dead center of the photo?

If so give me a measurement from the side walk to the house.
    With that in hand we will talk.

Just some information about 'Skylands'. growth area needed assuming you are going to stay there a long time to enjoy your investment.
    Picea orientalis 'Skylands'.

Growth Habit Broad Upright or Oval Image
    Growth Size: Large (greater than 12 inches (30 cm) per year, greater than 15 feet (4.5 m) at 10.

The undetermined tall narrow green conifer could be Picea abies 'Compressa' but you will have to be dead on for placement with several other intermediate cultivars in the play for color and balance for the right look.

Center background.

USDA Zone: 4 (-20 to -30 F / -28.9 to -31.7 C)
    Growth Shape: Narrow Upright or Fastigiate
    Growth Size: Large (greater than 12 inches (30 cm) per year, greater than 15 feet (4.5 m) at 10 years).
    Conifer Color: Dark Green.

Picea glauca 'Pendula'. Another consideration for you.

Growth Shape: Upright Weeping
    Growth Size: Intermediate (6-12 inches (15-30 cm) per year, 6-15 feet (1.8-4.5 m) at 10 years).
    Conifer Color: Blue Green

Dave

• illinois_john
    9 years ago

Mine took a beating in Des Plaines last winter. I saw some mature ones in Deerfield, they were in protected areas and looked worse than mine.

Mine has recovered fairly well, but it's going to be a few years to recover provided we don't have another brutal winter.

Mine is on it's third year in its present location and I have never seen more than 2" of growth in a year. I have observed similar growth in the other mature specimens that I've seen in my area.

I know that Dave sees more significant growth, but I don't think I'll ever see more than 3-4 " per year. That said, you're going to have a small tree in a prime location for quite a while.

I would go with something other than skylands considering the lack of wind protection.

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

bz, I understand, most important site selection for orentalis is wind protection. got that very emphatically from Rich at fox willow pines.

Dave,,,REAL nice follow-up post
    ron

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Unless you're trying to screen something out from across the street a pyramidal spruce seems out of place in that location.

I like the 'Ogon' suggestion if you're looking for a gold color.

If you're northwest suburbs Picea orientalis might not be the best for that spot.

I learned the hard way with Picea orientalis. With the exception of a few protected dwarfs this species was utterly annihilated this winter like no other. It was painful to have so many large plants killed. Included three Skylands that I worked on for 3 to 4 years.

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

Get 'Skylands' acclimated. It takes 3-4 years for that and of course the screening on the south/southwest that is necessary. Strictly a Z.4 conifer that needs full sun.

The last Winter was an every 25-50 year event. If you were growing small. barely acclimated plants they almost assuredly took a hit. Root bound issues, placement, screening, micro-climate and daily observation all need attention till it's ready to free range. If your a newbie or your experience is lacking in dealing with this very hard to grow cultivar you should pass for now and substitute to something less challenging.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon' AKA 'Gold Rush' in the trade would overwhelm that yard over time. It could work in the background with companion plants in the foreground. Not a up front yard specimen.

Family: Cupressaceae
    Zone: 4 to 8
    Height: 70.00 to 100.00 feet
    Spread: 15.00 to 25.00 feet

Dave

• bzamost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning and thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I am inexperienced in planting and caring for conifers, but I have been doing a lot of reading for almost a year (I know this is not a substitute for hands on experience) and hope that if I select proper specimens for the sites I would like to have them in and take the correct steps to care for them that I will succeed.

I am trying to screen out the houses across the street, as well as create some privacy from all of the cars that drive by. I am from Alaska and miss the privacy and seclusion that I just cant get here in the suburbs. I want to be able to look out of my front window in 10 years and only see trees and shrubs instead of the street. Or at least something close to that...

The sidewalk is 35' from the house, and the site I am considering for a large yellow conifer is 22' or so from the driveway. I like that Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon', but agree that the diameter when it is older could be too much. I've read that "Kools Gold" might be a more narrow option, does anyone know if this is correct?

I think that my site might be too exposed for a "Skylands", and I would be heartbroken if something happened to it after all of the effort that I plan on putting into it. Here is the front yard portion of a drawing I made of my yard and what the previous owners have planted in it. This drawing is to scale, one square is one square foot. Perhaps this will aid in determining what my options are. Thank you all for your assistance and suggestions.

• bzamost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm, how about this.... What if I swap where I want to put the "Skylands" and the tall narrow green? Assuming that my "Skylands" would grow at a rate of about 12" per year, and also assuming that my tall narrow green would grow at about the same rate, would that possibly provide adequate protection from wind? If they grow at a similar rate, the green should not shade out the "Skylands", at least that is what I'm thinking. BTW - the tree that is being removed is that one that is dead center to the house.

Whaas, do you believe that a conical spruce would look ugly where I am proposing?? Even with a tall evergreen as well as some intermediate ones strategically placed? I also have other shrubs/small trees that I am going to be planting along my entire front yard to create my privacy screen. I want the large conifers to the mid and left (facing the street from the house) in order to block the view of the street/houses from my living room. However, I am sad to say that I do not have a very good track record as far as taste. When I have done some preliminary drawings and when I picture it in my head it looks nice to me, but I can not dispute the possibility that I am wrong.

Brandi

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

I can comment a bit more later but something to think about based upon your goals is to do a semi formal hedge closer to the sidewalk perhaps with one of the hardiest evergreen viburnums, they will bronze during colder winters so something to think about for color. Otherwise a very dense deciduous plant could work.

I'm still 100% in favor of a shade tree right where that maple is now. 'Ogon' is actually a fairly narrow shade tree. A protected specimen just south of me made it with limited damaged this past winter. The owner said its 15 years old and I agreed with him that its about 9' wide.

Source like MOBOT put the mature width somewhere between 15 and 25' wide. Early season frost will limit its potential in the upper midwest.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Assuming that my "Skylands" would grow at a rate of about 12" per year,

==>>> the 5 or so that died for me .. never grew 12 inches per year ...

are you ignoring that this is near impossible for most of us to grow?????

i would NEVER recommend this for any newb.... especially if you are not prepared.. to lose your whole investment ..

there.. that is as clear as i can be ...

i would also.. get rid of that improperly planted.. too close to the house.. nightmare.. on the left corner ...

also.. be very careful about kools gold.. never heard of it.. in the conifer world.. many.. many names float around.. and many are simply not available.. i dont have time to find out about this one right now ...

can we have a real pic of the front.. both from the street.. and from the picture window ... your streetview.. and drawings.. are not really getting my minds eye.. wrapped around your project ...

and dont forgt .. recent transplants do not grow at annual rates like established plants... e.g. it might take.. 3 to 5 years.. for a skylands.. presuming you get it to live that long.. to start growing 12 inches....

i am thinking.. your only alternative.. is a tree.. out the front window ... even if you think of it as disposable.. it will fill your needs much faster..

gotta run

ken

ps: if you do not have possession of the property yet.... there is a spring planting season .... and this project might be better delayed ....

• bzamost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it's silly maybe, but I just really dislike the look of hedges. I did not consider that our early season frost could limit the width of that "Ogon", I do agree that it is a beautiful tree, and I do not mind my little house looking dwarfed by large trees. In fact, I would like my house to become hidden by them as time passes. I prefer the idea of a conifer over a deciduous tree in this area for year round privacy and beauty (not to say that deciduous trees can't be beautiful in the winter too), and I have a preference to something that fills out completely to the ground. What's that saying, want in one hand.......

• bzamost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha, I know that beast near the house is far too close and needs to go. Some day, when the rest of the yard isn't naked... I think that you are all right about the "Skylands", I have many years ahead of me to maybe try it in a different spot once I am more experienced.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Just throwing ideas out there...you might not have to go formal and can mix it up. I'll tell you one thing Hydrangea Limelight hedges/mass plantings are spectacular and to a point provide year round interest. They don't look as formal due to the semi arching stems.

One thing I'd caution against with a large growing evergreen is that as it ages it will close you in and may make you claustrophobic depending on the depth of your front yard. I can't tell you how often I see these large spruces being limbed up or removed all together from front yards.

Other less imposing (wide) choices for larger evergreens if you end up that route...

Picea Bush's Lace
    Picea Silberblue (one of my favorite Serbian spruce cultivars)

Then a more hardy gold is Picea abies Aurea Magnifica.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/conif/msg0200254319510.html?19