Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

Conifers, Cabernet & Camaraderie

The ACS Western Regional Meeting will be held this year in Sonoma County, CA Oct 18-20. We'll be visiting Quarryhill Botanical Gardens, where Bill McNamara, who has been part of QH from its beginnings and has been on all of the Asian seed collecting expeditions, will be our guide. We'll also visit Western Hills Garden, where Sean Hogan, the owner of Cistus Nursery in Oregon and family member of the new owners, will host us. The New York Times once called Western Hills 'the Tiffany of plants'. Other highlights include private gardens, wineries, microbreweries and the ever-popular live and silent auctions of rare and unusual conifers. The rate goes up on Sept 18, so now's the time to register.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS Western Region Meeting Brochure and Registration Form

Comments (11)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

my registration goes in the mail tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this conference. It's our first trip to the bay area.

~Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay! Can't wait to meet you! I'll be preparing a list of 'other things to see and do in the Bay Area for coneheads' so if you extend your stay you'll have a list of things to choose from, or not, as you decide. There are three world class botanical gardens in the area (plus UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz gardens, a bit further out), lots of specialty nurseries, additional private gardens not on the main program and parks with stands of old growth trees. May not compare to the Hoh Rainforest, but worth seeing.

Anyone else? The Bay Area is lovely in October....

• severnside
    11 years ago

Jealousy sits in the UK, frowning...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Severnside, sorry that you can't join us but I do remember crossing the Severn a few years ago and it was lovely there, as well! From one zone 9 to another, we wave to each other across many thousands of miles.

We will have photos. Which I will dutifully post in the Gallery....

• PRO
    11 years ago

The warm-up acts as we travel southward from Washington will be a day in the Siskyous in the vicinity of Oregon Caves National Monument and a day and a half in the Redwood Forest National Park. I'll get pictures out to those who can't personally witness the grandeur.

Sara, If you can provide the names of some conifer specialty growers down there, it would be really cool.

~Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a lot of growers here - we rely on you up in the PNW for most of that! But some very nice nurseries owned by knowledgable folks who are fun to compare notes with. I'm getting a list of sites together which I'll get to you, Dave. Redwood Forest Nat'l Park is gorgeous. I'm headed to the PNW next week for a week of driving around, mostly in Oregon, to visit growers and gardens. Have local conifer-types hosting me at various spots, can't wait.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"a day in the Siskiyous"

Been there, done that, and it is HIGHLY recommended!

And if you can do a day in the Klamath as well - I recommend the Deadfall Lakes on Mt Eddy, good Pinus balfouriana there easily accessible.

Sadly, I can't recommend going for the Cupressus bakeri stand at Seiad Valley any more, just heard it's been taken out by a wildfire.

Resin

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

^ Speaking of which, when that big fire was raging in N. Cali a few weeks ago-and for all I know, it still may be-the video on TV showed it to be burning through unbelievably lush and beautiful conifer stands. Hated to see that happening. Perhaps some of these species will be of the type that regenerates well in burned-over land.

+oM

• severnside
    11 years ago

Severnside, sorry that you can't join us but I do remember crossing the Severn a few years ago and it was lovely there, as well! From one zone 9 to another, we wave to each other across many thousands of miles.

Ha ha *waves*, good to know you've been here fellow 9 and glad you liked it!

We will have photos. Which I will dutifully post in the Gallery....

The itinerary sounds fantastic so I'm depending on that...

• PRO
    11 years ago

Hi Mr Resin. I was on that very hike you mentioned about three years ago and yes, the Pinus balfouriana were superb although the climb to Mt. Eddy almost killed me. (Temperatures were in excess of 35c that day.)

Our route is to travel along the Redwood Highway. I'm looking forward to seeing Picea breweriana and of course, the Sequoia sempervirens.

Hey Sara, what are California's rules for bringing in plants for the auctions? A nursery friend was asking today.

~Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave - you can bring almost anything in, with the exception of a few pine species that escape me at the moment (people smuggle them in unlabeled, which is frowned upon!) I can find out specifically if you want. Otherwise it is not a problem. Some ACS folks are driving down in a van with most of the ones that we will auction, although we are also taking donations locally.
    Sara