Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tancamb

Silver conifer

tancamb
10 years ago

I am looking for a fairly easy-to-find coniferous shrub for my front yard. It will be in a partly shaded area - 10' from the north side of my 2 story house, 12' to the west of what will eventually be a humungous Tulip tree in my neighbours yard. Hostas in this garden seem to get too much sun, but the shrub will be a little more shaded.

I would like it to be silvery or blue and just tall and wide enough to help cover my garbage bins (alongside other shrubs), ie 150 - 175 cm. I live in urban Toronto, zone 5b/6a.

I like the look of cedar, false cypress and, especially the feathery silver junipers, but not sure which would suit the location best.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

(Abies koreana) 'Horstmann's Silberlocke' would probably do well for you ...

joy will probably fix that name..

i have to go get the kids.. so i dont have any more time

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke' is right.

A very nice silver feathery juniper is the Juniperus virginiana 'Sulphur Spray'.

• tancamb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Ken and joy. I am afraid of the Horstmann's Silberlocke because it can grow to 15' and that would be way too big. The Sulphur Spray juniper is very pretty but seems to only grow to 1m which is much too short!

I like the look of a Blue Wichita Juniper (which might also grwo too large) and the Blue Surprise Lawson Cypress, but they all say full sun. Will they do well in only part-sun - perhaps not grow as tall?

Thanks for any advice, suggestions.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The Juniperus virginiana 'Sulphur Spray' can grow easily till 2,5 meters in diameter.
    It will never stop growing...

• tancamb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, the site I looked at said 1m and showed a very small bush. At any rate, I am not sure how quickly it would grow in Toronto, but I really don't want a shrub that grows any taller than 2m tall and I am looking at narrow, upright shapes as I don't want it to be too wide either. Which is why, for instance, I like the look of the 2 I mentioned above. But don't know about suitability of either junipers or false cypress for part-shade - afternoon sun only in the summer.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

conifers are trees... they NEVER stop growing...

its all about the ANNUAL GROWTH rate...

in 10 years.. a plant that grows a foot will be.. wait for it... 10 feet ...

one that grows 6 inches.. 5 feet ...

and if you google any latin name .. and add ANNUAL GROWTH RATE.. you will get such ...

BUT!!! ... almost all conifers are full sun plant.s. to grow at full potential ....

though rarely any will die in shade.. one that grows one foot.. might only do 6 to 8 inches...

so i will do such for you on the silberlocke.. and lets see what it says for sun .. see link

down the page.. i see reference to 6 to 9 inches.. which sounds right to me.. [i ruled out others from experience]

and i have one in a lot of shade.. and if its doing 4 to 6.. i would be surprised ....

but the real key here.. is buy something small .... and enjoy the heck out of it for a decade or so .... and then replace it..

rather than pick something rather boring.. just because it will fit ....

the silbelocke is a stunning plant ... trust me on that ...

and as far as i know.. Toronto is snow load country .. and i would NOT recommend any upright juniper ...

though i know nothing about the one joy mentions...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Ken is spot on, but ill throw out 1 more silver option for you if you like 'Horstmann's Silberlocke', but think its too large. Abies koreana 'Silver Show'

• tancamb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken, that explains a lot - I had no idea that trees never stopped growing. I will keep researching as you describe while looking around at what is available. Glad to hear that conifers can at least handle part shade and that it might work in my favour, as I don't want it to grow too large.

• tancamb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken, that explains a lot - I had no idea that trees never stopped growing. I will keep researching as you describe while looking around at what is available. Glad to hear that conifers can at least handle part shade and that it might work in my favour, as I don't want it to grow too large.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz