Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxo_man

Picea abies oddity

taxo_man
10 years ago

I found a odd norway spruce with inner yellow foliage. This tree was the only one that exhibited this color in a grove of norways. Has anyone seen anything like this before. Could it be stress, or a pest? Maybe a new cultivar discovery!
Thanks.

Jeff

I managed to grab this bit of foliage from the very bottom.. The top crown foliage seemed a bit more yellowed than this.

This post was edited by taxo-man on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 21:41

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Seen also on Thuja cultivars, but don't remember a spruce like this.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jeff, it looks like a healthy one to me.
    I guess in winter time it will be completely yellow.
    Is there a chance that you can go back then for checking this?
    If this is the case, then you found yourself a new cultivar!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

interior yellowing.. is normal.. a process of the shedding of interior needles.. no conifer holds its needles forever ... and increased significantly by drought/stress... in any of the years any given needle is on the plant....

to support that.. we would find no needles before them.. as they fell of last year ...

and i surely cant figure any of that out on your pix ... the second being the best for such.. but out of focus ...

a tree with significant yellow.. are rarely as vigorous as this giant ..

all that said.. a year or two of observation ... should tell you what is NORMAL.. with this particular tree ...

its rather cool if it is what it appears to be ... how did everyone miss this thing for the decades its supposedly been doing this... i mean really.;.. thats a giant telephone pole standing there ...

in the mean time.. you might get someone to try a few grafts

ken

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!
    I will certainly keep my eye on this tree over then next few months to see how it reacts. In the mean time I am going to attempt to graft a few.
    The tree is about 60 feet tall, and has the same growth rate as the surrounding norways.
    I appreciate the comments! :)
    Jeff

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Doesn't look like yellowing of spent foliage in photos shown here. Can be checked for adequate uniqueness (to name and propagate) by looking at photos of existing cultivars in conifer picture books and on web sites.

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bboy, I agree! I will definitely hit the books and check out what's out there..
    The first name that came to mind was Picea abies "heart of gold", because the inner foliage is yellow/gold. Or Picea abies "old gold" cause the older foliage is gold. Also thinking Picea abies "yellow fever". lol..
    Jeff

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Hey Jeff,

Will you email me, please?

Thanks!

Dax

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 13:37

Doesn't look like yellowing of spent foliage in photos shown here."

I agree. I have several P. abies on my property and in several years of widely varying weather regimes (drought in autumn, flooding rains in autumn, etc.) I've never observed anything remotely like this.

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Daivid! Glad to hear this doesn't seem to be the norm. That is exciting.
    Dax, I just shot you an email. :)

Jeff

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jeff, you don't have to search into the books, I can tell from my own knowledge that there's not a look alike cultivar of this species...your's is original :0)

Your find remembers me to my Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Goldheart'...

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

: ) Sounds good!
    I just looked at pictures of the Fillp's Goldheart, it definitely reminds of this norway also.
    Thanks Edwin!

Jeff