Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something interesting

Posted by Glaciers-End 8WA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 19:40

I found this little something yesterday while doing some pruning on a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Alaska' in my garden.
Photobucket

In case you're not familiar with this cultivar, here's a picture of the whole plant:
Photobucket

. . . and a closeup of the normal foliage and growth characteristics:
Photobucket

My question for anyone out there who may better know this cultivar is, does it look like I have broom on my hands or is this normal growth that sometimes shows up?

~Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something interesting

Dave, that's a mutation for sure, I can't say if it's a witches'broom.
Get it propagated by cuttings and graft also a few.
Please inform us later on how it will develop...thanks!

o

Certainly does look interesting and a nice color too.

tj

o

Looks good. I'd call it a mutation, also. I might stretch that to a sport of a chimera or another sport dependent upon how the growth of Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Alaska' was found.

Or, if Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Alaska' was found as a variegated seedling, then I would classify what you have there Dave is a "witches-broom-chimera", because it has the same colored traits as the parent and more importantly, the foliage is smaller/tighter/more congested than of the parent. If however the colored traits were different, then I would classify it as a new, sport.

Chimeras begin as shoots containing: lack of chlorophyll, i.e. variegation, from shoots that are fully green, fully blue, fully gold, etc-, and even from other variegated plants where the new mutation shows the exact same colors.

Sports are very similar to chimeras, however a sport is fully different from the color(s) of the parent. Dave shows us something with the same parent plant color. If Dave's new mutation had different colors than that of 'Alaska', I'd call it a "witches-broom-sport."

It's tough to break all these into an easy explanation but I hope I have. For me, I quit doing so a long time ago and simply decided that "mutation" was the easiest word to describe any occurrence where a bud grows something different of the parent.

Witches brooms...those are easy ones to declare since the foliage is always smaller/more congested/tighter... ...A reversion is the last term to complete "bud mutations." In a reversion, the foliage is always larger than the parent, the opposite of a witches' broom. So, just for example & hypothetically if Dave's mutation had larger foliage than the parent plant of C.obtusa 'Alaska' and kept the same color, I would have classified it as a "reversion-chimera" or if new colors and larger foliage, again, it would be a "reversion-sport."

Dax

o

Dax, that explanation totally made my brain hurt. Good lesson there, parder!

~Dave

o

Glad to be of help there sir!!!

Dax

o

I seem to remember hearing something about chimeras to the effect that the relevant mutation is confined to a localized region of the shoot tip so that some areas possess it and others do not, resulting in variegation (in the case where the mutation confers lack of chlorophyll or other effects on pigmentation).

So my question is, are all variegates chimeras?

o

Excellent question and I know the answer, regarding conifers. It depends 100% if the parent itself is all one color or, if it is a variegated parent, and how the parent came about to be.

Whether chimera or sport becomes mucky water. If a green conifer produces an all yellow shoot, that's a sport (I don't know why, it just is). If an all green conifer produces a green and yellow variegated shoot, it too is a sport (characteristics of the parent remain). If an all green conifer produces a blue and yellow variegated shoot, that's a chimera (completely different from the parent).

When from a variegated plant such as Dave's...you'll have to re-read what I wrote, above. Things kind of get 'reversed'. His plant really threw a wrench into the equation.

I really cannot explain it better than that, Alex.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here