Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus strobus 'Pendula'

Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 20:15

And you wonder why some don't make it.

This one was 12 years old and had the worst root issues I have ever seen in a conifer when given me. I didn't bother with it as I would have destroyed to much root material in the process of untangling this mess. A give me so no returns but I hated to loose it.

When it began to suffer I knew what was killing it. It was to established for the heat and drought to be killing it. Just as I suspected severe root girdling..it just choked itself to death.

Dave

Photobucket

The old J hook
Photobucket

Bottom of root mass.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus strobus 'Pendula'

Yikes!

that was one abused child. The propagator should be brought up on charges of neglect.

Grind the remains into a fine mulch. That'll bestow a bit of honor on its former potential.

~Dave

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 20:57

That sure sucks that it has too go on a note like that.

I just planted a non-returnable pine and the dang thing is a girdled mess as well. However it had a huge mass of roots.

What % of roots do you think you left behind?

That is a pretty small wad of roots for a 12 year old.

Sometimes you just can't win. Every plant pot bound plant I bare rooted to flare out has croaked. On the other hand if you just tease the otter roots and throw it in the hole you might not get much out of it either.

o

Here are a few pictures of some seedlings that I started in rootmaker air pruned flats and then moved into one gallon copper treated containers.

Frank

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 23:08

Actually, the last little trees have a lot of dead roots. The way C. Whitcomb puts it is the time to pot on is when the roots are approaching the walls of the container. Somehow, despite the technology employed you still ended up with typical-looking half dead root systems and matted, circling roots.

o

Dave,
Sorry to see that. I'm sure you are already planning a nice replacement.

Frank,
Your seedlings look excellent.

C. Whitcomb appears to recommend waiting for the tap and secondary roots to reach the sides of the container, and transplanting when the root ball can be easily removed from the container.

o

Dave,
"Sorry to see that. I'm sure you are already planning a nice replacement".

Yes sluice, I planted it today.

Dave

Picea orientalis 'Green Knight'

Photobucket

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 20:55

I'd consider that an upgrade. Did you find that locally? Quite a nice large specimen.

o

Yes, I purchased it at the nursery I do business with. A Well's Nursery introduction in 1975.

I also picked a 5 ft. staked Picea pungens 'The Blues'. I might do a side by side comparison of 'Slenderiana' and 'The Blues as some say they are the same cultivar if the interest is there.

Dave

o

Striking orientalis Dave. Never heard of it.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here