Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea pungens 'R.H. Montgomery'???

Posted by monkeytreeboy15 Zone 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 20:42

Do you think it could be 'R.H. Montgomery'?
Picea pungens 'Montgomery'

Thanks!

-Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea pungens 'R.H. Montgomery'???

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 21:26

Yes.

It becomes a conical grower after some age as this one has done. I have one I cut the leader out causing it to grow wider. It has never tried to put up a new leader.

In my opinion 'Glauca Globosa' and 'R.H. Montogemry' are not the same cultivar. I grow both of them.

Dave

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 0:33

According to Fincham (Dwarf Colorado Spruce web page) habit varies with propagation method (as is frequent with cloning of conifers). Supposedly "they" are told apart by the bud scales - there not being anything consistent enough about the habits produced to be used to separate out two distinctly different types.

o

The only way to find out if they're differedn is to take an DNA test...

Differend growing habbits will form if these are propagated by cutting or by grafting.
Plants propagated by grafting will form a leader because of the strong understock pusch.

o

just adding to the puzzle .. i have no real info.. but you might want to throw Egyptian Pyramid into the equation ...

ken

o

Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 8:45

Sorry guys. I am not pulling anything out of a book or passing on anything that is here say to make my determination.

The form is different, color different and the 'Glauca Globosa' is the inferior of the two. R. H. Montgomery' is always true to exactness in color. 'Glauca Globosa' color varies from blue tips green inner foliage to all blue. I see many bad color variances of this cultivar. I happen to have one of the better ones which is blue to the core.

I see these two forms growing all over the Midwest. I never have to blink twice as to know what I am looking at.

Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa'

Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa'

Picea pungens "R. H. Montgomery'Picea pungens R. H. Montgomery', 5-14-2011

Dave

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 11:17

Mine also have two different shades of blue. Also my 'Glauca Globosa' is blue to the core like Dave's plant.

Photobucket

o

Dave, were your pictures taken at the ame day?

o

Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 12:16

Yes.

Late Spring 2012. Cloudy day. We still had nice green grass as seen in both photos.

Dave

o

My 'Glauca globosa' looks very different - not as dense and low. It is photographed in August, when the new growth is already long, but the shape is completely different. Maybe I need to take out a leader? Maybe I need to cut branches to make it more compact? And I also have not noticed 2 different colors - even in the spring. This picea is not ever cut, since it was purchased. And yes - this plant was grafted...

Ireena

o

Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 15:25

If you want it lower and flatter, you will have to start cutting it back.

Soon.

But wait until the new growth is out early next summer, shorten that, unless you aren't worried about the possible lingering visual result of pruning it back now, or farther back than just part of the new growth.

Another thing you can try instead is slicing through all or part of the roots. This will reduce the rate of top growth without cutting away part of the top being involved. It will still have the same overall shape, just grow more slowly.

o

Thanks for the advice, bboy! However, I will wait next July (in our zone it is early summer!) And then cut new shoots. Because at the moment it looks like a Christmas tree :)) I expected more lower shape. And about roots slicing - I am already thinking about it. I do not have such a big garden, but this picea is growing like crazy :)

Ireena

o

Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 17:37

I would leave it to free range.

A beautiful specimen. Candling or cutting on it now...well in my opinion to late to change direction in its look or growing habit.

It look like growth is 8-12 inches a year. 20.32/30.48 cm. Seems a little strong and robust to me for this cultivar.

Dave

o

Ireena, please don't cut the leader out of your 'Glauca Globosa', this will destroy your specimen and you'll regret this for ever.
If you cut it's leader out it will make several new one's so it's true shape will be gone and it will look as ugly as can be.
Plants of this cultivar which are propagated by grafting will always show a growing habit like yours.
If you want one which is low and dense like Dave's specimen, you've to purchase one which is propagated as a cutting...
Your's will grow out as a nice blue pyramid, very good useable as a background specimen.

Dave, thanks for your pics and answer.
By taken a closer look I see clearly visuable differences between both cultivars in colour and needle setting.
From now on I can also see from a mile away which one is which one :0)

o

Dave - What's the growth rate of these two conifers? Just wondering if they are around the same for future reference.

o

Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 22:27

rick,

The 'R.H. Montgomery' and the 'Glauca Globosa' 3-4 inches a year. Both were planted in 1998.

Edwin,

I thought I was one up on you to be able to tell the difference in a blink of the eye.

Well...to be able to tell the difference from a mile away. I concede again.

Dave

o

Dave, the thing is that the 'R.H. Montgomery' isn't availlable in Europe yet, I do have a specimen in my Pinetum but it's to small yet to compare it with the 'Glauca Globosa'.
I'm very glad that you posted your pics of your specimens which were planted at the same year and I also think they do have the same age and are propageted by cuttings.
I see that the 'R.H. Montgomery' has a flat needle setting while the needles of the 'Glauca Globosa' are surounding the twigs.
Thanks again, I'm also still learning about conifers every day, and yes, a mile is a bit to far, but it was so to say... :0)

o

OK, Edwin!
Listen to your advice. Always it is easier not to cut :)
And form a really beautiful. I like it. I hope that it slows down the growth rate.

Ireena

o

ireena...

a 'globosa' .. should be basically globe shaped.. with NO pruning by you ... perhaps INFREQUENTLY putting up a leader ...

yours is straight up .. i question whether it is a globe ... or a globosa ... though surely i dont have the ability to name plants on sight, like some here ...

the whole point of naming a plant globosa ... is that it has an inherent genetic predisposition to a globe shape ... NOT THAT YOU HAVE TO PRUNE IT INTO THAT SHAPE ...

ken

o

Ken, probably the original seedling of the 'Glauca Globosa' had a globose form, that's why they named it 'Glauca Globosa'.
Dave's specimen is propagated as a cuttings and it's shape is the same as the original one.
Ireena's specimen is grafted and because of this it made a leader because of the pushing of the powerful understock.

The same situation is with the Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gruene Kugel' (translated from German to English it means 'Green Globe'.
The original seedling was a nice globose form, but all propagated one's by grafting started to develop a leader after a while...

o

The same happened with my Picea pungens 'Waldbrunns'. It pushed almost from the start and has turned into a beautiful little christmas tree shape rather than a globe.....and I like it better.

mark

o

Tex,

I believe that in the case of 'Waldbrunn' it's well known that grafted plants will develop a leader and more of an upright shape. For the bun shape you would need a plant grown from a cutting, which is not so easy to find at least in this country.

Alex

o

Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 17:22

Most of this is liable to be the invigorating influence of seedling rootstocks. Grafted dwarf conifer stock that grows faster and taller than it is supposed to is pretty common.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here