Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgg1

Pinus ponderosa (?) 'Richards Bush', Unidentified jeffreyi

DGG1
9 years ago

So,

I have read past articles on the matter of 'Richards Bush', but in my quest to collect and grow as many Pondi cultivars as possible I have become more curious.

I have a few trees that are labeled Pinus ponderosa 'Richards Bush'. I have been growing them for several years now and each season my confidence in the species lessens. Needles are 3ish inches in length, medium/deep green in color, in bundles of 2-3. Buds are relatively fat, somewhat resembling those of a ponderosa. Cones are small, about the size of a nickel, lacking spines (not indicative of ponderosa, scale pattern seems somewhat uncinata-ish).

The next one may be a harder question to answer. Its likely a jeffreyi, but what cultivar is beyond me. Long, I mean long, needles, blue/green/turquoise in color, a slight twist at the base of the needles, bundle of three, light smoothish bark, long/thick buds. The habit is the real kicker; puts out a ton of new growth, 12-18", needles only elongate from the top 1/4 or 1/3 of candle. As the candles stiffen, the needles get longer, eventually weighing down the new branch/leader, giving the tree a wild, almost weepy, but more twisted habit.

I have seen it labeled as both '10' and possibly as 'Sophie' (the later seems a mistake though, because the it was also listed as a ponderosa).

Both are from a nursery that offers some of the best rare conifers around, but seems to consistently become overwhelmed/confused come label making day.

Thoughts concerning the correct species / cultivar anyone?

Sincerely,

a hard core high mountain conifer enthusiast

This post was edited by DGG1 on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 21:12

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm