Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please advise me.

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 21:08

I found this on sale at Lowes in their clearance. It was cheap so I decided to take a chance. It was 100. marked down to 10.00. Do you think it is on its last leg and not worth planting? Or Is this just some dead bottom leaves due to poor care?

Thank you for your opinion.

FAT ALBERT SPRUCE
PICEA AZUL FAT ALBERT
PICEA PUNGENS GLAUCA

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please advise me.

you got a deal. b happy. i love mine.

o

Rather poor shape with no straight lead shoot at the moment, but no reason why it shouldn't get a decent shape eventually. Watch out for coiled roots in the bottom of the pot.

Resin

o

Looks like a nice plant. I go to Lowe's frequently, & I have been very self-disciplined by staying in the lumber side of the store. You have encouraged me to visit the garden center. Thanks!! Joyce

o

i dont understand the 3 names above the one plant ... are you asking the name???

the azul part of this makes no sense to me: PICEA AZUL FAT ALBERT

and the 3rd name is not much better ... as it really isnt a name.. its either P p glauca pendula.. or it isnt.. otherwise it simply means.. a BLUE[glauca] blue spruce.. which is redundant ...

anyway... the future of this plant is in the buds... of which i can not focus on ... if properly planted.. and it winters over well enough [who knows how stressed it is] ... and the buds trigger in spring.. you will have a plant ...

as to how it will need to be pruned.. and what becomes of the damaged parts we can not predict ... but one thing for sure.. in about 5 years .. when it doubles in size.. those injured parts will not be an issue ...

those parts .. look like they were pruned for shipping.. or the plant was field grown too close to its neighbor.. or they were too close together at the store ... dont worry about them .. we can take another look early next summer.. after the flush of new growth.. and selectively remove whatever did not bud out ...

do you know how to properly plant a conifer...

as it now stand.. with the damage.. we probably can not give you a name.. until it starts achieving a more realistic form ... [or joy will tell us otherwise] .. it might be fat albert ...

good luck

ken

o

Thamk you all for the input.

Ken the three names are how they are listed on the tag and the names are in that order on the tag. When I ask a question I try to give a much info that I have. People cannot help you if you do not tell them what a plant they are looking at.

OHHH and Ken....do you know how to properly plant a conifer...

This is my 4th property I have purchased, fixed up and landscaped. The first two were my training ground. I am good at this now. With shovel in hand this 5'5 120lb woman would put you to shame in the dirt. LOL

I when you buy plants from the big box stores I have found your guess is as good as their guess. LOL

Joyce, I have picked up so many deals this year at a fraction of the cost. I have 4 acres that needs major re-work because it was negelected so long and many of the evergreens have to be dropped due to size and condition.

I dropped 20 and looking to replace and design all at the same time. Lowes clearance has helped a lot with the cost of this project. If you are not collecting andjust need the look it is not a bad place to pic up some beauties reasonably.

I picked up 2 pyramidal yews for 2.00 that are 5' balled trees. So Joyce you need to glance on your way to the lumber. LOL Really you know I love you. I still want to get you at my next party.

o

"i dont understand the 3 names above the one plant ... are you asking the name???

the azul part of this makes no sense to me: PICEA AZUL FAT ALBERT "

English, Spanish, Scientific. Presumably they expect, or hope, to include the US's 16% of Spanish speakers among their customers.

Resin

o

Unless it's really unique, we only buy plants at Lowe's off the "used" plant rack. The dear wife usually heads for that first right out of the car, and then we worry about things like nails, paint, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here