Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bent 'Ogon' Gold Rush Redwoods

Posted by visionsofpaint NC (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 21:20

I purchased a couple of Ogon redwoods from the Habitat for Humanity Reuse store, they are both really healthy looking and have long leaders. The problem is one of my leaders is bent almost to the ground. It has only been in the ground for three days, but it looks kind of sad. It is already showing healthy buds of new growth. Will it lift it's leader on its own or do I need to stake it? If so, how do I do that without harming the tree? I can post a picture tomorrow if I need to. (too dark tonight!)

I've never had a redwood. I'm a gardening novice, really, but at $8 for a seven foot leader, I couldn't resist the beautiful foliage.

Thanks!
Ashley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bent 'Ogon' Gold Rush Redwoods

Hi Ashley. If by that ^ you mean you got a 7 ft. dawn redwood, "Ogon" cultivar for 8 bucks, indeed a good buy. We'll have to see a pic to figure out what to tell you next!

+oM

o

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 4:56

Ashley,

Did you purchase the one with the leader already bent to the ground growing that way? Or is the leader disproportionately to tall and thin to support itself. In any case you need to stake to get it vertical. If growing that way it could be a challenge to get it vertical. We will need to see a photo. If to week to stand on its own drive a narrow stake next to the trunk and secure the leader to it. Buy the stretch tape and narrow aluminum stake at your local nursery. The stakes come in different lengths.

Something seems amiss. I have never observed this tree with a leader to weak to stand on its own. Possibly grown in crowded conditions with not enough sun light along with nutrient deficient soil as contributing factors.

Dave

o

Dave,

I just bought one a couple of months ago and when small they do droop...at least all of the 8-10 of the same size the nursery had were all staked to prevent drooping. (From Iseli, I'm fairly sure).

Once again, the deer simply cannot resist anything I plant on my berm.

Photobucket

I sprayed everything with an egg, pepper, soap and water concoction and I think I missed the 'Ogon' and that made it a tempting target. I'm hoping that since it is close to the end of the season it will just go dormant and survive.

Jon

o

really need a pic of OP's plant... for any real useful answers ...

i wonder how big the pot was ...

8 bucks for a 7 foot $300 plant is.. indeed a bargain

if a mis-type.. 7 inches.. do what johnny did ..

if 7 footer.. who knows..

ken

o

My Ogon is 33 inches tall and was $39 which is about the going price around here.

o

It grows thin and fast for me in a fair amount of sun so I understand the desire to stake.

This tree really grows and at any price for an 8 footer there is money to be made. I gotta get a grafting or rooting mine!

Think mine was $30 something for 30 or so inches a few years back. Looked like a branch off a regular metasequoia for a year or so and has really taken off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here