Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Pinus parviflora blue angel and Pinus strobus hillside winter gol

miclino
10 years ago

I have some new beds being made and looking for smaller upright conifers. Both blue angel (blauer engel?) and hillside winter gold are found in decent sizes (atleast 3-4 ft tall each) at a local nursery. On sale now for the next two days so I have to decide quickly.

I need something that has relatively slower growth rate and won't get more than 4 ft wide or so (at least not within the next 5 -7 years!)

What are your thoughts on these? Thanks in advance, pics would be appreciated. I have seen some on the web but most are nursery pics.

Comments (11)

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I have Pinus Parviflora 'Blauer Engel' - I purchased it in the spring 2012. This year it grew 6" vertically and only a couple inches horizontally. It definitely looks like this plant will be will stay on the taller/skinny side.

With that said, Bluauer Engel is one of my least favorites in my collection. It's not a bad tree and my opinion could change as it gets larger... I just don't like the fact that each branch has a lot of spacing between one another and the needles are short/spaced far apart. This creates more of an open plant rather than a pine that's full. But that could change as it grows. None of my other Parviflora's are showing this kind of growth... that's because they are slower growing and the needles are spaced closer together ultimately creating a fuller plant. Right now mine is only about 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall.

So if you don't mind me asking, what's the damage on those 2? The one your looking at is double the size of mine and it may be much fuller/nicer looking so you can make a better informed decision. If it's full, a nice color & cheap... I say go for it.

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the pic from the nursery. It's not cheap but I will confirm price later. I will get a 30% discount but I have to buy today. I read somewhere that blauer engel needs to be candle pruned to keep it tight. Not that I know how to do that. How do you like the color? Six inches does not sound like a slow grower.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I like the color... It still has the open appearance just like my 2' plant. But it's less noticeable and a little fuller since it's so much larger. It may fill in as the years pass.

Where is this going anyhow? You said no wider than 4' in 5-7 years, but you didn't include the height. If that plant is 4' tall now, and it grows 6" a year... it should be close to 8' tall in the next 7 years. I'm not sure I would stick that plant in a 4' space next to a house.

If you have room for this Pine, a much better selection and one of my all time favorites would be Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'. You can't beat the 2-3 month show it puts on with the yellow flush. They both pretty much have the same 10 year size estimate (6' x 3'). The problem you have is that your tree is already large and it may fill your space very quick. If you got something smaller, it would take much longer for it to fill in.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you need to candle prune it.. then it wont fit where you want it ...

the issue with the gold.. is whether.. it will turn a good yellow/gold in winter... in your shade ... and i do not know the answer ...

personally.. i would not buy a plant i have to prune ... given the hundreds.. if not thousands that would be carefree ..

ken

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It would be in full sun and as the anchor of a combined perennial/ conifer bed. It won't be next to the house. Needed something with a smaller footprint to give vertical interest. Would prefer blue so this seemed to fit the bill. Open to alternatives

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

abies lasiocarpa compacta...

intense blue..

small growth rate..

incredible..

doubt if you will find it local..

if i can grow it.. dont know why you cant ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Blue ones that stay under 4' round could be a challenge... ones that I know are very blue and are available via mail order are Picea pungens 'Blue Totem' or Picea pungens 'The Blues'. Both of those should stay within the 4' diameter for many years to come.

Here's my Blue totem picture taken 4-5 months ago... still looks the same today though. It beats the blue Parviflora's in terms of color & shape.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was really interested in picea pungens the blues and it is available locally. But many of he pics I found showed arching plants, can it be kept vertcal?

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Anything can be kept vertical... just buy a longer bamboo stake. They usually just cost a couple bucks at the garden center or big box store.

The blues is a weeper... if not put on a stake it tends to grow up at an angle or whatever way it wants. Some even let it crawl on the ground. The main thing is just to select one that is growing straight up, plant it then add the stake next to the trunk. Tie it the stake and plant together with some plastic gardening plant straps. They are just basically little pieces of thin plastic that will stretch as the plant grows. See the link below to some staked 'The Blues'.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The Pinus parviflora 'Blauer Engel' is the most intense blue coloured one of his species.

It grows pretty compact and 6 inches isn't much, it doesn't need candle pruning but you can do this to create a fuller growing habit.

Besides it's bright colour it's also showing cones at a young age.

Please make sure that the soil you'll plant it in has a good drainage.
    This is because 5 needle pines are susceptible for root rot.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: young specimen 'Blauer Engel'

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Rick, Ken and Coniferjoy. Thats a great looking blue totem, I may well have to consider it. I had it in my wishlist but did not get it. Well I went back and purchased the pinus strobus hillside gold for a completely different spot. I may go back tomorrow and decide on picea pungens the blues vs the Blauer engel vs blue totem online purchase. On closer look, I have to agree with Rick that maybe blauer engel habit is a little too open for my liking. I have not seen abies lasiocarpa compacta locally and we have some decent nurseries around here. Here is a pic of the pinus, on sale for $44.