Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Cedrus atlantica 'Mt. Saint Catherine'

Hello folks. I haven't been around lately and now my girlfriend has my camera with her for a bit as well, but I'll still add a few of these time-lapse shots for a few cultivars this month.

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Mt. Saint Catherine' - Very very choice, hard to grow and sometimes hard to propogate, this tiny cedar has wonderful color, a prostrate, mounding form and grows about an inch/3 cm's a year.

2009 - Graft from Coenosium Gardens.

-Will

Comments (8)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Will!
    I also love to see that as your plant grows, your labels change..
    Glad to see she now has a proper name!
    Thanks for sharing.

-Sam

• severnside
    11 years ago

Good to see you back. Get another camera!

• peter_out
    7 years ago

I don't know if anyone will read this after so long but thought I'd comment on the origin of this cultivar: This is one of two brooms I found in the 1970s in Stirling South Australia in a huge old C.atlantica glauca. This is the first one which was almost 3' across. The second was much smaller & of a looser growth. I think this second one may now be extinct. The tree is still growing in what was then Mt. St. Catherine Catholic convent. Incidentally I no longer have the cultivar here. In the same year I found C.deodara "Waverly" & C.deodara "Scotts" both of which are still grown I believe. I named the cultivar "Mt. St. Catherine's" with an "S".........Cheers Peter Taverna

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    7 years ago

Peter, thanks so much for posting the history of this wonderful little plant. Personally a cultivar's legacy is more important than the plant itself. By chance do you have any pictures of the original broom?

Dave

• peter_out
    7 years ago

Dave, I think I have a photo somewhere of the broom on the morning I cut it. If I can find it I'll scan & post it. Actually I don't know if it's just the conditions but the above pictures look much more like the 2nd broom mentioned in my previous post. The big one had very tight growth completely obscuring the stems. It makes tight balls as young plants & not so much the 'spider' like growth pictured. My friend the late Peter Nitschke (between us he & I found & propagated dozens of brooms) had both & it was he who distributed it. Both had the same name & were designated #1 & #2,........it would be great if both still exist! I must try to find someone in Aust. who has it as I'd like to grow it again where it started........ I still have rootstocks from the initial propagation which "got away" & are now large trees covered in cones!

Peter

• severnside
    7 years ago

Peter, I've copied and posted both your very informative replies on the Planet Conifer page on FB. There are a lot of conifer heads on there. Hope that is ok with you. Drop in if you can.

• severnside
    7 years ago

Ha ha nothing much has changed, what you've written here is just the same as current conifer discussion.