Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thuja Green Giants: Houston

Posted by kezie 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 22:38

I am interested in planting a privacy screen in my backyard. I understand Green Giants are good for screening, but I am not sure whether they can take the heat and humidity of Houston. Some websites suggest that they are hardy up to zone 9. Does anyone know whether Green Giants can thrive in Houston? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thuja Green Giants: Houston

I don't know whether GG would be suitable or not. Have you consulted a reputable nursery in your area or possibly the extension service out of Texas A&M?

I found the attached link. Open the link, go to the bottom of the page and click on the Palm Tree. In the table that opens Thuja spp. is listed under both Medium and Large Shrubs for all coastal areas. Other plants you may want to consider would be some of the various junipers or Arizona Cypress depending on how much room you have to play with.

Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Texas Coastal Areas

o

I have a Green Giant in a pot here in Waco area. It did not grow an inch all summer. Now that hottest weather has broke it appears to be stirring. It may be that they quit growing at a certain temperature and then kick back in when it cools down.
Az. Cypress is a tree that is usually recommended for the drier areas west of Trinity R. In general Houston would seem too wet for those.

o

Thank you very much for your responses. I consulted two nurseries in the area and both of them were of the view that the GG doesn't do particularly well in Houston. I would appreciate other suggestions for privacy screens.

o

Eastern Red Cedar comes to mind. It usually has dependable cone/pyramid shape if grown in full sun. It can take moist soil if well-drained.
Other possibilities would be some sort of holly or standard arborvita, but I have no experience with these.

o

Thanks Scotjute!

o

My Thuja Green Giant has grown very well in the Houston area. I started it as a 1 gallon at 14". Two years later its 8ft in a 20 gal pot. I will plant it in the spring. It looks somewhat like a full Calocedrus decurens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here