Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I spray Miracle Grow weekly on my Blue Spruce???

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 22:41

Only joking... o_0

So what do people use to fertilize conifers, if anything? Shrubs? Small Trees? Big trees? In the fall?
Some guys seem to indicate that they fertilize.

compost? organic material? artificial? peat moss? just mulch, what kind?

So what do you do? or nothing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I spray Miracle Grow weekly on my Blue Spruce???

Most of the time, nothing is just fine. Conifers are generally adapted to growing on very poor soils in nature, and don't need anything extra.

Definitely not peat moss. That belongs in peat bogs, a rare and endangered habitat with a unique flora that is being destroyed to satisfy the horticulture trade

Resin

o
RE: Can I spray Miracle Grow weekly on my Blue Spruce???

trees/conifers need nothing after transplant... other than a period of watering to aid establishment ... mulch will reduce evaporation to help in PROPER watering ..

the ONLY exception is if you are in the tree industry .. and repeatedly cycle plants through the same soil .. and need to have soil test and amendments to insure your investment ...

remove all competing weeds. ... and add some mulch to keep the weeds out.. and they will be just peachy ...

start with a soil test IF you suspect something is lacking in your soil ....

as the tree matures ... it doesn't even need the mulch .... EXCEPT to keep you away from it with the lawnmower and the weedwhip ....

try a walk in a forest .... and study how nature takes care of itself .... i suggest you are overthinking it all ... forests are self-mulching ...

good luck to you, and your trees/conifers ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here