Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Red Spider Mites - Remove Plant & Spray others?

Danell Hiltz
11 years ago

I planted a pinus strobus nana about two weeks ago and its needles are now turning brown and falling off. I held a piece of white paper under the needles and viola I saw one reddish, translucent mite scurry away. This plant looks really sick yet I did not notice any webbing - yet. Some of the Hinokis have webbing but I'm pretty sure they are just good ol' spiders trapping flies and none of them look sick. Should I just pull out the white pine to save possible infestation to the other plants?

I also have several large, dwarf and slender Hinokis, Junipers, Filicoides, Nordman Fir, Daylillies, and other possible susceptible plants. Should I just spray these with water or insecticidal soap like Safer? Please help, I don't want to lose these. I do have praying mantis but . . .maybe a different predator is needed as well.

Comments (3)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Likely the original rootball is dry. Stick a finger in it to determine if that's so.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Are we talking browning on new growth or old growth?

Now is the time for old growth to yellow and brown. Usually sooner than later for recent transplants.

Did you really find "1"? I wouldn't think twice about protecting plants with any sprays of any sort unless I had a major infestation.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

we need a picture

ken