fairfield8619

Picea likengensis and Picea meyeri

fairfield8619
11 years ago

Worth a try in hot Z8?

Comments (6)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I don't know nothing about your zone, but I do know that Picea likegensis mut be written as Picea likiangensis...

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Both to Zone 7.

A hot Zone 8. Your micro-climate will determine that. Is anyone else growing them locally? A good determining point.

Dave

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Neither is grown here- that doesn't mean much. Neither is A. firma or Cryptomeria or cunninghamia, deodar which do very well here. What is grown locally is junipers, ligustrums, burford holly, azaleas, Bradford pears- nothing interesting, pretty desolate. Everything looks the same, no one steps out of the box. Sago palms are exotic. I'm a renegad.
    So, what you are saying is probably too hot and humid?

• sluice
    11 years ago

Wonder if Picea morrisonicola would do OK there.

I saw a real nice weeping bald cypress at the New Orleans Botanical Garden, maybe something like that would work in your climate.

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

"So, what you are saying is probably too hot and humid"

No I am just saying what others are saying.?

"Neither is grown here- that doesn't mean much".

I beg to differ. A good starting point. If no one else is growing them what makes you think you can.

Anybody can grow Cryptomeria or cunninghamia, deodar out of zone but the two you mentioned I personally think its too hot.

Give it a try you could be the first.

I hope you are.

Go for it.

Dave

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I've been known to try many things. Like the five Bauhinia variegata I grew from seed- just planted last week-hope it's a mild winter. Pushing it in the other direction.