Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Conifers for the small garden # 2

dcsteg
11 years ago

I will do this grouping of three in one photo.

All three are approximately the same age and planted at the same time. 2002. I would guess they are all close to 15 years old.

Left to right: Pinus strobus 'Horstford', Pinus mugo 'Zundert' and Picea pungens 'St. Marys Broom'.

Dave

Pinus strobus 'Horstford'

This nicely shaped bun has wonderful light green needles. It is one of the best of the dwarf, bun-shaped, globose types of White Pine available. It is a selection of Greg Williams of Kate Brook Nursery in Vermont so you know this one is good and hardy to zone 3. The height and width is 2 feet in ten years making this a perfect fit for use in a dwarf garden. This one is 14" high by 40" wide.

Pinus mugo 'Zundert'.

This selection has an exceptionally bright gold winter color and distinctively long needles. Lower and denser growth habit than 'Pumilio'. Grows about 3" per year. Full sun, Zone 4. Growth rate 3-4" a year. This one just beginning its transformation to winter color. 33" high 42" wide.

Picea pungens 'St. Mary's Broom'

An old favorite that still commands attention. A dwarf form with silver-blue foliage that grows in a squat globose to broad conical form. Great blue needle colors and small size make it a nice choice for a rock garden or foundation planting. Zone 3. with a growth rate of 1-2" a year. This one 22" high by 42" wide. It attempted to grow a central leader 4 years ago but I removed it to prevent a conical form from developing.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus