Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin'

My girlfriend is back in town and so is my camera! :-)

I have a few thousand photos to take, hopefully I can share some neat ones with you here.

Picking up where I left off(thanks for filling in Fotis!), this is a time lapse series of four years.

Today's pick: The awesome small dwarf Eastern white pine, Pinus strobus 'Sea Urchin'. It's grown maybe two inches a year in all directions for the last four years.

Notice the distinct seasonal changes in needle color/texture.

1. 5-inch pot purchase from Coenosium Gardens. Doesn't cone every year.

2012 - Later in the year, this photo shot in late October. This plant is huggable!

-Will

Comments (18)

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

I agree - one of my favorites! I love seeing this whole little grouping grow-up together.

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

One more agreement. Do you have to clean out the needles at that age? Mine is about 24" and the needles always collect inside.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, I give it a quick 'ruffle' once or twice a year, basically knocking loose any of the excess needles from the inside. They then fall to the base and create an additional bed/mulch for the plant. Not too much maintenance in my opinion, considering the plant asks for nothing else.

Glad you enjoyed the photos, more soon!

-Will

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

It sure is a nice cuddley looking plant.

Are you still digging the wood/bark nuggets for mulch? I'm thinking about converting to that type next year as all the other stuff decomposes in 1-2 years.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey will ... been worried about you.. welcome back ...

mine got to about that size [2012].. and then just started slowly dying.. no real idea why ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

You never cleaned out the needles!lol!

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Stress related heat will take them out.

Dave

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Those cones look like it has some Pinus parviflora in its ancestry (i.e., probably Pinus � hunnewelliana). Have you kept any of them, and the seeds that were in them? If yes, close-up pics please!

Resin

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Something to look forward to...

From the Harper Collection

{{gwi:607674}}

I don't recall seeing cones on it.

tj

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Glad to see you and your camera back Will! Wish I had more plants that could 'fit' this category you created!

I would like to see more, please...

Fotis

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Tsugajunkie: Great picture from the Harper Collection. I recognize my flag! lol. Has there been a tally published of the plants that got the most flags?

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Strange, I never see cones on "Sea Urchin"
    If someone have, please show us.
    Clement

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

You know Bax, I never heard any results. I think the flag voting was a Hidden Lakes thing as opposed to an ACS thing.

Clement- I have never seen cones on 'Sea Urchin' either.

tj

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, stunning specimen, TJ. Probably 15 years old?

Will, I love the larger bark nuggets and many of them have been battling back weeds in my landscape for 2-3 years without real noticable degredation yet. Costs about 30% more then traditional bark but the benefits far outweigh that price markup.

Fotis, I'll work on it - plenty of photos being shot in the next 3-4 months. :)

As to the cones, I must say I have only seen cones of a few other dwarf strobus('Coney Island' comes to mind), but I am certain my 'Sea Urchin' has coned at least twice, maybe three times. No recent photos but if/when it does so again, I'll report some images with closeups.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, thanks for showing us your nice specimen.
    The 'Sea Urchin' was found as a witches' broom seedling selection by Sidney Waxman.
    As we can see at the pics, it's needle colour is a nice blue, which could be the problem that this is one of the most difficult one to keep alive after a few years from grafting.

I also have to admit that I've never seen cones either on this cultivar.

Other dwarf forms of Pinus strobus that will bear cones are 'Macopin' and 'Windswept Broom'.

• Mike Larkin
    11 years ago

I have been growing Sea Urchin in Pa zone6 for last 7-10 years. It is growing well, however never any cones. I have noticed that the is a section of the plant where the needles appear to be not as blue green, almost faded in color. The affected area seems to me getting greater. I tought there may have been discussion on this "condition" - anyone recall? Mike

• toucanjoe
    11 years ago

This is my 'Sea Urchin' igot it from Poterhause about 7 years ago.It is 15" wide by 10 high.I clean out the old needles with a leaf blower.It usually is more blue in the summer.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Joe, I think you mean Porterhowse, owned by Don Howse...
    Nice specimen, cleaning out the old needles with a leaf blower will keep it healthy.