Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea orientalis 'Instar' from Girard

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 1:10

Couple things:
I'm perfectly happy with what I got for the price. No particular reason to post a picture as it just looks like a 14-15" tall oriental spruce, as described in the listing. I just mention this since the question came up about this nursery's quality and reputation. I also bought some Kalmias from them that were a little on the small side, but, again, no surprises and I'd give them an overall A rating, as they were nice answer to answer some questions about their Abies rootstock when I called. (unfortunately, not A. firma or A. nordmanniana, which are the only 2 I'd trust in my climate, broadly speaking)

Secondly and more importantly, I don't see any info. about this cultivar except in relation to Girard! Was it selected by them? Are there many "house cultivars" that don't get registered? Has anybody ever seen a mature one besides the picture on their website?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea orientalis 'Instar' from Girard

It looks quite simular to Picea orientalis 'Nutans' because of it's semi pendulous side branches and twisted upright leader...

Here is a link that might be useful: Girard's pic

o

Thanks. I wonder - if they did select it - why they thought it was sufficiently distinctive to warrant a new cultivar. Maybe it was a seedling of 'Nutans'.

o

wouldnt it be easier to call them and ask for jeff...

or is it fun to just wonder endlessly ... lol ...

ken

o

True Ken, I could do that.
But I doubt they will have anything bad to say about it...
not that I'm looking for bad news, necessarily.

o

you asked if it was intro'd by them.. i suggest you ask them????

lol ...

i have had a few others intro'd by them.. and have never found a word otherwise about them .... e.g. P pungens girards dwarf ...

ken

o

I didn't effectively communicate what I meant. Surely, I thought I could get a better account here than some harried person on the phone who's just trying to take orders to keep the business running and themselves in a job. I guess that isn't the case. Since nobody else knows, I'm guessing they selected it. It doesn't show up at any of the "usual suspects" websites: Buchholz, Iseli, & Stanley. Or Gee. Or the Lawrence Hatch cultivar lists.

o

hey

when i started.. there was barely anything on the web period ... i know your pain ...

ken

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 17:31

They have a tendency to put the name Girard in their cultivars. They have blately wrong names on some cutlivars as well.

You'll definitely have to call. Jeff is friendly by the way...funny voice for sure.

o

I called Girard when I went to order my Pinus parviflora 'Tanima-no-yuki' because their website was having issues. The security for online ordering with credit cards & such. The company that does the stuff screwed it up on a thursday, they found out on friday, I'd been trying to order on the 15th.

My order arrived today. Thursday, the 20th. It was shipped out monday. It arrived in good order, healthy, happy and is already in the ground. I've a thread about it elsewhere here.

The fellow I spoke to normally doesn't run the phone/order taking part of the business but was more than willing to help me with my order. So you should call them and ask your question. I highly doubt they will have -any- problem with you doing so.

My impression is that this business is very much interested in keeping the customer happy.

~Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here