Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

Pinus sylvestris 'Chris's Broom'

bluespruce53
11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Chris's Broom' .. probably the best sylvestris broom I have found in recent years, and is shaping up nicely to be a very tight and compact plant..

Comments (38)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yep, it's shape is a nice compact.
    If I remember well it's named after your son because he found when you were collection material from another witches' broom nearby?

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, you are right Edwin, you have a very good memory

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On the subject of sylvestris cultivars going to show a few of what i consider to be the best cutivars.
    Here's one from the US - 'Prairie Dwarf'
    {{gwi:613118}}

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is one of the very best for slow growth and very tight habit - Pinus sylvestris 'Oden' or (Oden wb sdl)
    {{gwi:613115}}

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice brooms! I really like 'Oden' with all those pronounced buds. Looks almost as if they would be sharp, like a little ball of daggers.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Big Boy'

Pinus sylvestris 'Blyth-Jex Wb

Pinus sylvestris 'Tarragona'

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

'Chris's Broom' is by far my favorite.

Have you sent any scion to the US yet?

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nothing sent to the Us so far ..

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

All choice plants, as usual, Blue.
    Thanks.

tj

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Marshal'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Doone Valley'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Humble Pie'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My! this thread is becoming an effort, wondering if it's worth the bother :( ... anyway .. Pinus sylvestris 'Dano WB'

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Your collection of sylvestris brooms is very impressive and well worth chronicling. Plus the pictures are great - your efforts are much appreciated. How many of these were discovered by you?

Alex

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your interest Alex, only three of these sylvestris brooms pictured are mine .. 'Chris's Broom' - 'Big Boy' and 'Blyth-Jex' ...

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thanks Stephen for your very nice pics.
    Are you interested in trading some scions with me of your finds?
    It would be a shame if those nice one's will get stucked on the U.K. island ;0)

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Pinus sylvestris 'Lodge Hill'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Edwin, yes we can trade some scions this winter .. no problem :o)

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Richard, where did you get your 'Lodge Hill' only it looks rather open and vigorous for that variety ?

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

I bought it a couple of years ago from Walkers Nursery near Doncaster.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Looks like my little 'Lodge Hill' as to how tight it stays, similar to 'Jeremy' at the moment.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

'Jeremy' is very different, a lot slower growing, flater, with darker green foliage and noticable orange buds especially in winter. 'Lodge Hill' is a lighter bluey-green, becomes broader never making a leader. Richard's plant is probably ok, just looks a little open, well grown nursery plants that age should be a lot tighter in habit

• severnside
    11 years ago

Clear, thanks.

Do you still have a 'St.George', 'Treasure' and 'Andorra'? I'd be interested in recent pictures of them if so as if I'm not mistaken they are green?

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure I ever had 'St. George', My 'Andorra died after I tried relocating it. 'Treasure I do still have and is a good plant. Regarding colour 'Andorra' is a bluey-green but a different shade than 'Lodge Hill' very attractive colourwise in appearance. 'Treasure is green, very slow growing, more or less dome shaped and dense, lovely plant in my opinion. I'll see if I can find some pics and post them up soon.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Yes it was Edwin that had the 'St.George'. Sorry to hear about the 'Andorra' I saw one at Ashwoods for sale but a collector came up while I was holding it and said he was desperate for another one after his had died. I handed it over, maybe a good thing if they are delicate. I'd like to see your 'Treasure' certainly. The 'Humble Pie' takes some beating, it's immaculate, how old?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

This is the one which I've in mine collection
    Pinus sylvestris 'St. George'

The smallest Pinus sylvestris broom of all:
    Pinus sylvestris 'Arrowhead'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice Edwin, had two 'Arrowheads' here both died, not easy to keep alive, fungal problems seem to be a big issue with this one.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can only find a pic of Pinus sylvestris 'Treasure, so here it is.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

You guys sure have alot of Ps brooms over there. I only see a few available over here. Perhaps I have to look harder.

Eitherway I like them all! My favorite is still the very 1st one.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

A couple more...

Pinus sylvestris 'Bennett Compact'

Pinus sylvestris 'Brobeck's Watermelon'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope you got room for a few more at your place Edwin ?

• nwconifergarden
    11 years ago

Thank you for your efforts in sharing these pictures with us. Your posts are always such a treat, I always enjoy looking at your beautiful gardens, it gives me considerable inspiration! It is also fasinating seeing cultivars I have not seen before.

Jim

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I make sure I will Stephen :0)

All together ( from grafting on) it will take some years when they're ready for planting them in my Pinetum.
    In the meanwhile some bigger and common one's will be removed then to make some room to plant new conifers...

Pinus sylvestris 'Mossen'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edwin, your sylvestris 'Mossen' looks different to mine, will post a pic when I find one.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

OK Stephen, in fact it's a very dwarf cultivar which is not really visuable at this pic.
    The strange thing is that at my nursery I've a couple with a leader like this one, but most of them are a compact globose.
    I guess this has something to do were the scion for grafting was taken from the motherplant...

• severnside
    11 years ago

I like the 'Treasure' thanks for posting it. Do you have a pic of the 'Andorra' premortem? The one on GoY suggests a superb plant but the sharpness is a bit lost.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one of 'Andorra' on GOY is the only image I have (or had!), forgot about it being on that site and did look for it in my files when you originally mentioned it but couldn't find it at the time.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Ah ok, still it looks like a great cultivar. I'll have to look out for one.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting