Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

transplanting a baby weeping cedar

bart_2010
9 years ago

OK, forum maties, need help with another id and without providing photos, either! but some of you have been of so much help to me without me providing said photos that I'm going for it anyway.
Once again, the question is to ID a conifer bought from my local, extremely UNSPECIALIZED garden center that couldn't id my plant at all, merely saying it is very hardy.. It has a weeping shape,like photos I see on Internet of C. glauca pendula,though being very young, it's confusing. It's needles are small,like those of c. libani,NOT longish like c. deodara. It's colour is very like that of species C.libani and C. deodara (I know, I just bought both of these two latter from an on-line nursery that DOES id the plants, lol.),not really blue like photos of glauca pendula. Is there any "plain" c. libani pendula? does such a thing exist? How big can I expect this type of tree to grow?
More importantly,last fall/winter I planted out this baby tree,but did not realize that the spot in which I put it is not very sunny; in fact now, in October, it is in shade. The little tree has grown a bit, and looks basically OK, but I was wondering if it might be better to move it. Can this be done, or do weeping cedars resent being transplanted? thanks in advance, bart

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

all trees can be moved... or nurseries would go out of business... dont you think ...

move it in dormancy ... start digging about 3 times what you planted ... hoping to move twice what you moved.. dig most of new hole first ... slip the babe in.. water properly for two years ...

matey's??? ... i didnt know that was in the Italian vernacular.. lol ...

the only real limitation on transplant is your physical ability ... and your ability toward proper aftercare ... see link

no pic.. no ID from me ...

ken

ps: not that i could ID it on a pic either.. lol.. unless very common ...

Here is a link that might be useful: 4th pic at link

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Guessing what might be the most common Arb is one thing, trying to ID a cedar without a pic is pure guessing, even with a picture it is difficult. If the word of this unspecialized nursery is to be taken seriously, it would indicate that "very hardy" suggests it could potentially be grown from seed of Cedrus deodara originating in the mountains of Afganistan. It also would not be hard to believe an unspecialized place might have a cultivar from this location, such as Cedrus deodara 'Karl Fuchs'. Although the coloration on a quality specimen from reputable nursery would be a nice steel blue color, I have observed that 'Karl Fuchs' sold at the big box store are very inferior, and usually just have a drab green coloration.

Post a pic and we might be able to help further, otherwise...just a guessing game. Also, start buying from places that care enough to label their trees! Even then you will get some imposters on occasion, but much more rare.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do I know when it's dormant? it' s an evergreen. Also, I'm unclear as to what exactly you mean by "start digging 3 times what you planted,hoping to move twice what you moved". do you mean dig around the base of the plant in a circle about 3 times larger than what I think was the size of the original rootball? I'll try to see the link on another computer; GW links have caused problems on this one...regards, bart

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

how ever big the pot was that it was originally in, dig 3x that.
    You can transplant it now if you want.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, needinfo,that's nice and clear. Now if I could only remember the actual size of the pot...but it wasn't very big; maybe 6, max 8 inches diameter; certainly no where near a foot; the poor thing was awful root.bound and definitely suffering from being in the pot,that I do remember, and i even moved it up a size into a larger one,but it was not enough, for sure..So, I'm guessing if I plunge my shovel into the ground about 2 feet away from the "trunk" (still more a stem, ehm) I'd be Ok. Seems too generous an estimate, somehow,but I'll see what I can do. regards, bart

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio