Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

design tips needed cedrus deodara and libani

bart_2010
9 years ago

I'm going back and forth as far as placement goes for my new baby conifers. First of all,I'm a bit perplexed about placement for my two cedrus: deodara and libani. It's hard, because now they are so small, but I realize that they can get very, very big,so I think they must be placed on the edges of the cultivated,garden area of my woodland,where they will be able to be seen in their entirety,but won't block the view or the sunlight which the roses in the central are of the garden need.Furthermore, the land in question has a very sharp slope; say about a 45 degree angle. How far apart should the two trees be,if I were to decide to place both at the foot of the slope? How much space should I leave between these new trees and the deciduous ones already present? How fast do they C. libani and c. deodara) grow? I have a mature native cherry tree that is a cloud of beauty in spring when it is in flower, and I'd hate to block the view of that, but also wonder if this would actually be an issue: if the cedrus grow very slowly, and a cherry is not especially long-lived,it might be decades before the evergreen would be large enough to hide the cherry,which may or may not still be alive...any comments would be appreciated; I am new to trees, and am finding it challenging to figure out placement. Thanks, bart

Comments (2)