Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floramakros

Sunproof White Conifers

floramakros
11 years ago

Hi Everyone, Are all the white foliage conifers sensitive to burning or are there varieties that do well in full sun? Whether it's white new growth or permanently white variegated foliage, I'd love to know if there are any you can recommend for a spot that receives several hours of full sun each day. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

when does the spot you have.. get the sun ..

dawn and dusk sun.. are quite different than noon to 5 sun ... which involves direct sun.. and heat ...

and in your zone .... that is very important to define ...

white tissue has no chlorophyll ... read that.. no pf factor.. as in suntan lotion ...

if the plant gives off more moisture.. thru transpiration.. sweating ... than its roots can process.. in a given period.. then the white tissue will burn/brown/dessicated ... so you have to play this game of protecting it.. during its most dangerous time of day ... which is usually the heat of the day ...

ken

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I'm rather partial to Cryptomeria japonica 'Sekkan.'
    The new growth is creamy white, and the foliage colors up really nicely in the Winter.
    There may be some initial burning on young or establishing trees, but I have one in full sun,
    morning to evening, in my back yard - and it's doing great.

Josh

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Sekkan sometimes burnes, much better is the a bit more golden or yellowish Hungarian Gold syn.Barabits Gold.
    Never burnes here in full sun the whole day.
    But maybe it differs from location to location.

Wolfgang

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

No burn on C. 'Sekkan' here, for what it's worth. If by white you mean pale yellow, you could try Picea pungens 'Gebelle's Golden Spring'. Not particularly noteworthy summer-winter, but in spring the lemon yellow new growth is so lovely that it makes up for it! See photo below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring foliage

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Picea orientalis 'Early Gold' which fills the same role as your GGS. It's the earliest of the new growth fireworks and the color glows in the dark! (almost ;-) Plus it has incredible bright red cones, people have actually asked if I glued them on!

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Yes! I love 'Early Gold', too! Spring is so great with new foliage like those, and those cones...I have both the GGS and the 'Early Gold' in the same area and it is my favorite spot in spring. Who needs flowers....

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow' is the white or yellow foliage conifer for that matter that didn't or had minimal burning which wasn't noticed until close inspection.

12 hours of full during the hottest summer of record keeping.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Are C. p. 'Snow' and 'Snowkist' the same plant?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

"Are C. p. 'Snow' and 'Snowkist' the same plant?"

No, The 'Snow' is a Chamaecyparis pisifera cultivar.

The 'Snowkist' is a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'cultivar, which is simular to 'Tonia'.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Thank you Edwin!
    Sara

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Two that perform perfectly well in full sun here are Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Mariesii' and Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka Variegata'.

FWIW, a lot of the white (not cream, not yellow) variegated Hinokis are extremely sun tolerant in my climate - 'Moonshine', 'Mastin', 'Snowblast', 'Baldwin's Variegated'. Even Ch. lawsoniana 'Barry's Silver' does well in full sun here with no tip burn. Not sure how well they would hold up in hotter summer climates.

• Conifer K(7b GA)
    6 years ago

Has anyone tried cryptomeria japonica 'Nana Albospica' in full sun?