Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larix occidentalis

Posted by jimbobfeeny 5a IN (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 7:27

Anyone have any experience with this tree here in the East or Midwest? I'm thinking of planting a few, and I'd like to know if anyone has had any success with it. Eastern larch doesn't do so well this far south (drought usually does it in), but I was wondering if Western larch would grow better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larix occidentalis

Jimbob, folks like you trying unusual plants is one way this industry moves forward, but having said that, I'd rate as extremely low your chances of success with western larch in areas too hot and/or dry for tamarack. If I'm not mistaken, western larch has even less tolerance for those conditions.

+oM

o

I've got a low-lying spot in an old, unused pasture that is occasionally inundated in the spring when the creek blows its banks. It's right at the edge of a seasonal willow swamp. The ground along the fence is a bit higher, and that's where I was going to plant them. The soil never dries severely (this year was exceptional), and it's fairly rich and well-drained. Tamarack does range into Indiana - We've got quite a few tamarack bogs up North. I've seen a few around here, but I'm not sure if they were tamarack or European larch.

I've always figured that I had better chances for success planting young plants - I've only spent $2.25 on each one (I got 5), so I'm not out very much if they die. If they live, well, that's just a few more interesting trees around here. I'll probably try a few bald cypress, as well, to be on the safe side.

o

It grows in Ottawa, Ontario...a very continental zone 5a. It's not as big as Larix kaempferi or L. decidua in this climate and perhaps not as healthy looking as L. laricina. This particular one is planted in a drier upland area of the conifer section at the Dominion Arboretum.
Tree

o

I want a witches' broom of this species...

o

Well there ya go Jimbob-Smivies shows us a decent one in Ottawa. In any case, working with small inexpensive plants, there's nothing to lose.

+oM

o

Edwin, there happens to be one such dwarf form of Larix occidentalis which was discovered by Jerry Morris! (See link)

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Larix occidentalis 'Bollinger'

o

Occidentalis is native in the mountains here and grows on dry, upland sites. The ones in our yard on a sandy loam soil tolerate up to 40 degC quite well; we irrigate with 8 hours of water. The subalpine larch, lyalli is found in wetter, and cooler, situations and does not tolerate heat well.

o

Should have added water is 8 hours, once a week, in hot weather, less often during cooler spells.

o

Good to hear! Anyways, I'll keep you posted. These things are supposed to grow fairly fast if conditions allow them! We don't get over 100 very often. Usually we only get 7 days over 90! Our highest rainfall comes in the summer, though, when it's the hottest. We don't actually, on average, have a true "dry" season, except maybe late August through October (Not this year!). That's when the field crops dry down and harvest commences.

o

But pasadena, is that not 'dry' only by comparison with the moister, western slopes of the Cascades, et al? Not being argumentative here, just seeking a better understanding. FWIW, I've never seen any species of larch truly happy in dry conditions. Moist but well-drained sites? Sure, all the time, but dry?

+oM

o

Sam, I know that Jerry Morris found 5 brooms of this species, but how many of them are still around in collections?

May be Nate can help us out with some info.
I'm glad that the 'Bollinger' (#1) is still there.
Were was that pic taken?

o

tom, you're correct it's all relative. Occidentalis is limited naturally in its altitudinal range by precipitation, but not temperature and is found on all slope aspects within its climatic range.

Here is a link that might be useful: FEIS database: Larix occidentalis

o

Edwin, this picture was taken at the Oregon State University arboretum. I will be moving to Oregon soon, and perhaps I can obtain scions to propagate and share it.

-Sam

o

Sam, that's great news!
What are you going to do in Oregon?

o

I will soon be working with Brent Markus at Conifer Kingdom updating availability, propagating, and posting nursery updates online.
It will be an exciting opportunity to "grow" in my knowledge and love for conifers!

JimBob, I apologize for changing the topic of your thread.

-Sam

o

Sam, please say hi from me to Brent, he and Eric Bizon will visit my nursery in about 10 days...

Jimbob, I also want to apolagize for changing the topic of your thread.

o

Anyone got access to seed?

o

Larix occidentalis grows to 67' tall (~ 22m) in Ohio:

http://ohiodnr.com/Portals/18/bigtrees/treepages/native/images/larch_western04_85.jpg

o

Hello Jim Bob, I'm going to do a partial hijacking to respond to Edwin but also to inform you that my Larix occidentalis 'Bollinger' is in one of the driest, hottest parts of my landscape. This area get absolutely baked every summer afternoon and didn't get a drop of water during our recent 80 day dry spell.

Edwin, here are pictures of my 'Bollinger.'
Photobucket
and a close up.
Photobucket

~Dave

o

Thanks Dave for these nice pics!
I'm very glad that at least one of Jerry's brooms of this species is still among us...

o

Aye, 'tis foine!

I don't mind in the least - It isn't totally off-topic or anything! Now I'm curious about that 'Bollinger' - Where could I find one of those?

Also, if Western larch will grow in Ohio, it'll grow in Central Indiana. Our climate here is pretty similar to Ohio.

o

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 10:34

IMO, Japanese larch will look similar & perform much better in IN.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here