Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimbobfeeny

Larix occidentalis

jimbobfeeny
11 years ago

Anyone have any experience with this tree here in the East or Midwest? I'm thinking of planting a few, and I'd like to know if anyone has had any success with it. Eastern larch doesn't do so well this far south (drought usually does it in), but I was wondering if Western larch would grow better.

Comments (22)

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Jimbob, folks like you trying unusual plants is one way this industry moves forward, but having said that, I'd rate as extremely low your chances of success with western larch in areas too hot and/or dry for tamarack. If I'm not mistaken, western larch has even less tolerance for those conditions.

+oM

• jimbobfeeny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got a low-lying spot in an old, unused pasture that is occasionally inundated in the spring when the creek blows its banks. It's right at the edge of a seasonal willow swamp. The ground along the fence is a bit higher, and that's where I was going to plant them. The soil never dries severely (this year was exceptional), and it's fairly rich and well-drained. Tamarack does range into Indiana - We've got quite a few tamarack bogs up North. I've seen a few around here, but I'm not sure if they were tamarack or European larch.

I've always figured that I had better chances for success planting young plants - I've only spent $2.25 on each one (I got 5), so I'm not out very much if they die. If they live, well, that's just a few more interesting trees around here. I'll probably try a few bald cypress, as well, to be on the safe side.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    11 years ago

It grows in Ottawa, Ontario...a very continental zone 5a. It's not as big as Larix kaempferi or L. decidua in this climate and perhaps not as healthy looking as L. laricina. This particular one is planted in a drier upland area of the conifer section at the Dominion Arboretum.
    {{gwi:821768}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I want a witches' broom of this species...

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Well there ya go Jimbob-Smivies shows us a decent one in Ottawa. In any case, working with small inexpensive plants, there's nothing to lose.

+oM

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Edwin, there happens to be one such dwarf form of Larix occidentalis which was discovered by Jerry Morris! (See link)

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Larix occidentalis 'Bollinger'

• pasadena
    11 years ago

Occidentalis is native in the mountains here and grows on dry, upland sites. The ones in our yard on a sandy loam soil tolerate up to 40 degC quite well; we irrigate with 8 hours of water. The subalpine larch, lyalli is found in wetter, and cooler, situations and does not tolerate heat well.

• pasadena
    11 years ago

Should have added water is 8 hours, once a week, in hot weather, less often during cooler spells.

• jimbobfeeny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to hear! Anyways, I'll keep you posted. These things are supposed to grow fairly fast if conditions allow them! We don't get over 100 very often. Usually we only get 7 days over 90! Our highest rainfall comes in the summer, though, when it's the hottest. We don't actually, on average, have a true "dry" season, except maybe late August through October (Not this year!). That's when the field crops dry down and harvest commences.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

But pasadena, is that not 'dry' only by comparison with the moister, western slopes of the Cascades, et al? Not being argumentative here, just seeking a better understanding. FWIW, I've never seen any species of larch truly happy in dry conditions. Moist but well-drained sites? Sure, all the time, but dry?

+oM

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Sam, I know that Jerry Morris found 5 brooms of this species, but how many of them are still around in collections?

May be Nate can help us out with some info.
    I'm glad that the 'Bollinger' (#1) is still there.
    Were was that pic taken?

• pasadena
    11 years ago

tom, you're correct it's all relative. Occidentalis is limited naturally in its altitudinal range by precipitation, but not temperature and is found on all slope aspects within its climatic range.

Here is a link that might be useful: FEIS database: Larix occidentalis

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Edwin, this picture was taken at the Oregon State University arboretum. I will be moving to Oregon soon, and perhaps I can obtain scions to propagate and share it.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Sam, that's great news!
    What are you going to do in Oregon?

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I will soon be working with Brent Markus at Conifer Kingdom updating availability, propagating, and posting nursery updates online.
    It will be an exciting opportunity to "grow" in my knowledge and love for conifers!

JimBob, I apologize for changing the topic of your thread.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Sam, please say hi from me to Brent, he and Eric Bizon will visit my nursery in about 10 days...

Jimbob, I also want to apolagize for changing the topic of your thread.

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Anyone got access to seed?

• salicaceae
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Hello Jim Bob, I'm going to do a partial hijacking to respond to Edwin but also to inform you that my Larix occidentalis 'Bollinger' is in one of the driest, hottest parts of my landscape. This area get absolutely baked every summer afternoon and didn't get a drop of water during our recent 80 day dry spell.

Edwin, here are pictures of my 'Bollinger.'
    {{gwi:592240}}
    and a close up.
    {{gwi:592241}}

~Dave

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave for these nice pics!
    I'm very glad that at least one of Jerry's brooms of this species is still among us...

• jimbobfeeny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aye, 'tis foine!

I don't mind in the least - It isn't totally off-topic or anything! Now I'm curious about that 'Bollinger' - Where could I find one of those?

Also, if Western larch will grow in Ohio, it'll grow in Central Indiana. Our climate here is pretty similar to Ohio.

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

IMO, Japanese larch will look similar & perform much better in IN.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure