Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

My weekend purchases

ireena (zone 5-6)
11 years ago

Last weekend I visited several local nurseries. In the autumn there appeared a number of news (for me:)). Of course, I bought some of them. Some have remained in my plans:))

Here is a list - foto 1 - from left side -

Picea omorika 'Aurea'

Picea omorika 'Expansa'

Picea obovata 'Krylov'

Pinus parviflora 'Ryu-ju'

Abies conocolor

Pinus taiwanensis

Pinus cembra 'Tatra'

Pinus ponderosa var.scopulorum

Picea engelmanii

Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera'='Tanyosho'

And Picea abies 'Pendula Major'

Some plants were particularly interesting. I found among other ponderosa plants one - total hanging. When I showed it to the owner, it was quite surprised. He has not been seen before like that! Said that almost a pity to give it to me:))) I promised to send him the photo as it grows...

And I like a lot Picea obovata 'Krylov'. Very nice long and soft grey needles. Very gracefull tree...

Ireena

Comments (21)

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Very nice plants. They look very promising.
    Richard

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

nice addition! That ponderosa makes me curious... opinion guys?

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Nice shopping Ireena! I especially like the Picea engelmannii and Picea obovata 'Krylov'!

Do they ship internationally? :)

Best regards,
    Fotis

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Very nice addations to your collection, Ireena!

I was wondering from which nursery you bought the Picea omorika 'Aurea', because it looks so familiar to me :0)

Is the weeping Pinus ponderosa grafted or is it a seedling?

Ireena, please could you also bring me one Picea obovata 'Krylov' when you'll visit my nursery next year?
    Thank you very much in advance!

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful specimens. Hope you'll let us see updated photos when you get them planted out.
    Cher

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fotis, I think, that Picea engelmanii are in trade everywhere in Europa. But about Picea obovata, I think this species are rarely found in Europa, because it is Russia native (Siberian) plant. We are, however, closer to Siberia:)) Picea obovata likes more continental climates, in our marine climates it does not feel particularly well, but still growing. We have available to another obovata - 'Seminskaja'-

In the Baltic countries it is available. I think that in the Poland and the Czech Republic as well.

Edvin, I see that I will have to buy bus for my next summer trip:)) I'll Try to buy another one Fassei and one Krylov for you...

About Picea omorika 'Aurea' - I bought it in Baltezers nursery, but I think that it is not their product. They tend to sell well as other growers plants. But it has grafted in Latvia.

About ponderosa - I found it in Zalenieki (LAT) nursery. All plants was grafted from one motherplant... I saw this mother-ponderosa. Normal habit tree.... I don't know about rootstock. Forgot to ask... But nursery owner was very suprised... Maybe plant lost it's leader, but I do not see the fracture location. All branches from the top are very drooping and limber.

Ireena

• jth97381
    11 years ago

I have seen pines do that on occasion. If it happened to be in a dry part of the canyard (nurser container growing area) while growing early in the season, the branches will wilt down and later harden as so.I thought I found a weeper a few years ago, then after evaluation, it was just water stress from being behind a larger plant and not getting enough water. Just one possibility. A mounding form would be nice.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just have to wait and see what will come out. In any event, it's interesting and I'll be satisfied with any outcome. Of course, I can try to help the growth of this form. Maybe...;) If the nature of this plant will not take the upper hand:)))

Ireena

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Picea obovata "Seminskaja" look like Picea obovata "Glauca"
    But your Pinus ponderosa are very special !
    Nice, Clement.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ireena, many thanks in advance for reserving me a 'Fassei' and a 'Krylov'.
    Indeed, you'll need a bus to bring me that nice stuff but when you leave my nursery I guess that you'll need a big truck :0)

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Clement for a good estimate. I hope, my finding (ponderosa) will be interesting (or droll:) on future...

That's right, Edwin. I am of those people who does not know how to stop :) Malik's nursery I left with 30 pots ..... Everything inserting in Skoda Jetti back... Many other women enjoys shopping in hypermarkets. But I have nothing better than a good nursery visit.
    Especially now, when I got to 3 ha of land and 4 ha of forest ..... This is my new big project. In my small garden I feel claustrophobia:) ...

Ireena

• kleckas
    11 years ago

>>>Picea obovata "Seminskaja" look like Picea obovata "Glauca"

Clement, in case your statement is true, all P. pungens cultivars after 'Glauca' are fired (dropt to fire)!!!

Really, there is a big difference - I'll try to provide photos, but this may take some time.

For the begining - this one. Are you sure this is 'Glauca'?
    http://postimage.org/image/hul8ctpv3/

Unfortunately my 'Krylov' is very small and damaged - cannot tel what is the difference Seminskaja/Krylov at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seminskaja

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Big fan of the Picea obovata 'Krylov'!

Thanks for taking the time to post photos.

• kleckas
    11 years ago

Additionally:

Since my 'Semiskaja' is bigger than me, in February/March I may send scions to anybody interested. Also I have some grafted plants. Unfortunately this is valid only for EU....

The same is applied to P. omorika 'Fassei' - the pictures will follow.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

By the way, is that a Great Star Hydrangea? Sure looks to be an older specimen!

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whaas, you are right! Pfoto 1. - from left - Hydrangea paniculata 'Phantom', from right - 'Great Star' (Le Vasterival). Hydrangea flowers are almost the only ones who are still left in my garden. Conifers took over all. 'Great Star' is only 5-6 years old.... First summer in the ground (was growing in the big pot). I think it likes my compost and wet summers we have + my watering. I guess I need to take part in the Hydrangea forum too:)

Ireena

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Kleckas!

Finally, a close neighbor also appear here :) I am from Latvia. We also have a similar plant hardiness zones.... Where exactly do you live?

Ireena

• kleckas
    11 years ago

Hello Ireena

Unfortunately your profile prohibits direct Emailing to you :)

My location: Kaunas, Lithuania. 306 km to S from Kalsnava Nursery and Arboretum.

Kleckas

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Kleckas

You can e-mail me every time you want:)) Many beautiful plants I bought by Kalsnava nursery. I live 20km from Riga near Baltic sea. Our plant growth conditions are similar, I think. So I would be interesting to share experiences of various plant winter hardiness. Currently I collected information of the Baltic conifers selections. Actually I failed to find anything of Lithuanian conifer varieties.

Ireena

• kleckas
    11 years ago

> (Ireena.7) You can e-mail me every time you want:))

How?

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kleckas, my e-mail - irena@dskalns.com

Ireena