Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcpotts_gw

Thuja ID

Mcpotts
10 years ago

Does anyone know the name of this species/cultivar?

Thank you.
Polly

Comments (23)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

probably going to need a closeup to perfect the latin name ...

i gotta tell you though.. a lot of the named babes.. end up looking like this ...

are the growth points a different color??? .. or is that a camera trick???

why do you want to know ... ??? they root if you really have to have this one ....

dont recognize the name.. welcome ...

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Looks like 'Yellow Ribbon'.

Dax

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Can you add a close-up of the foliage and cones, please? From this small photo it isn't even possible to rule out Chamaecyparis pisifera.

Resin

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, this is liable to be a Sawara cypress cultivar, unnamed seedling variant or growth sport - the juvenile/semi-juvenile foliage forms of this species can be quite unstable, with more than two types of foliage present on a single specimen.

A closer view might make it possible to recognize it as a specific named variety.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 17:29

• Mcpotts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the tag and it says Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow' My photo does not show off the variegation. Size is supposed to be 6x6 and that may be the 10yr estimate. Thanks everyone for your help. p

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Now that you mention it the white tips are visible, if I had looked more closely previously I might have recognized the cultivar. One in a yard up the street from here has apical dominance also; I have also seen one that made a little tree in a Seattle park. (Neither example is labeled, the identifications are mine).

• botann
    10 years ago

Here's mine.
    I usually avoid the pisiferas because of the visible dead growth, but this one somehow got past my better judgement. We'll see how it does.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

So you are saying you were 'Snow'-ed?

• botann
    10 years ago

LOL, Yeah.
    I'm still not sure I'm going to keep it. Might take a few years.
    I'm getting pretty picky in my old age. ;-)
    It's not looking too bad right now. So far, so good.
    I'm wondering what kind of tree is in the background. I'll start a new thread on that.

Mike

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Polly, the one at your pic is a Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow' which is taken over by a much faster growing reversion of it.
    Because of this it has the appaerence now of a Chamaecyparis pisifera 'White Beauty'.

Juvenile forms of this species aren't very stable and once a reversion will show up it need to be cut away to avoid over growing problems.

• coxarb
    10 years ago

my experience here in souther USA, Z 7b is that 'Snow can get quite large and can become unattractive with age (just like me). A better choice is 'Snow Sport'

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Tom, the 'Snow Sport' arose as a similar reversion (sport) as 'White Beauty'.
    The first one was found in the U.S., the other in The Netherlands by Wiel Linssen.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Since specimens seen here are like the one in the original picture, with the same coloring throughout the top (one in first picture here has some more vivid green older foliage near apex) as new, young plants not sure how this constitutes reversion* to a more vigorous, less green type. As we see in MIke's pictures these start right out with apical dominance also.

Unless the idea is that all of the stock is re-propagation of a reverted type, right from planting, and that the true original cultivar is something like a little white ball with no upward orientation and so on.

In general many Sawara cultivars are quite plastic, with habits or coloration changing over the life of the specimen (a frequent problem with garden forms of conifers in general, with the use of normal seedlings root-stocks appearing to have a significant influence) and some plants sometimes having several types of growth on the same bush or tree.

*As in a genetic change to a different plant entirely, rather than just a more vigorous and/or less colorful life stage of the same plant, that will return to the same original growth for a time when propagated from the same shoots that currently on not exactly the same as at first

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 15:33

• Mitya
    10 years ago

Forgiveness can someone be able to determine my Thuja?

• Mitya
    10 years ago

details

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Dmitry, that's a Thuja occidentalis 'Stolwijk'.

• Mitya
    10 years ago

Thank you, you have confirmed my suspicion. I bought it in a crumb form as Gold Perl, but when it went growing rapidly, it became clear that it was something different. Might be Stolwijk, but not sure because of strong growth up to 30 cm per year and single trunk.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

"not sure because of strong growth up to 30 cm per year and single trunk."

Dmitry, those are typical characteristics for this cultivar.
    It's habit is quite similar to a Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' which is dense and conical with one single leader, if pruned in the right way...

• Mitya
    10 years ago

No, it's not exactly a group of 'Smaragd'. She is not never sheared.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

That's not what I ment, the growing habits of both, The 'Stolwijk' and 'Smaragd' are pretty similar which is dense and pyramidal...

• pvmaeurope
    10 years ago

hello, forgive me this is my first message, I would like to identify this one, thuja number 1, it's living in northern Europe, cold winter

• pvmaeurope
    10 years ago

This is number 2, it's appr. 10 feet high

• pvmaeurope
    10 years ago

More from "thuja 2"