Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hesamaf

preparing arborvitae cuttings

hesamaf
9 years ago

I have read some guides about arborvitae semi-softwood cutting propagation. They all recommend to take cuttings from the tip of the branches with a length of about 6 to 8 inches. I took some cuttings this way that their diameter are 2 to 3 mm. Aren't they too thin to be able to form roots? I prepared the cuttings like the picture below.

This post was edited by hesamaf on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 8:51

Comments (18)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Those little shoots may root but I would have made that piece one cutting.

I don't particularly care for the bend at the base though. You should try to find straight cutting pieces.

I take a pair of scissors and scratch the bark and cut the foliage as shown... then dip them in a wet rooting hormone such as dip n' grow or clonex and then stick them in about 90% perlite to 10% peat moss and either bag them for humidity or use a tenting chamber made of poly that creates the humid environment. Bottom heat isn't necessary but it can speed up the rooting. You just have to be careful when using bottom heat as to not dry out your media.

I'll post a few photos of cuttings to follow.

Dax

Cutting prior

• gardener365
    9 years ago

same cutting after foliage is decreased

• gardener365
    9 years ago

And after scissors are used to prepare the cutting for dipping in a rooting hormone and ultimately to the potting media.

Sorry but I only have a photo of a Metasequoia cutting showing this but it's done exactly the same way.

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Gardener365 for yhe great photos and answering my question.
    I have another question if you don't mind.
    Can the cuttings taken in this time be kept outside over winter and snow?

• gardener365
    9 years ago

No. If you don't have a greenhouse - you may simply put all your cuttings in a container and add a few bamboo sticks or other and cover the cuttings with a bag so that the cuttings do not touch the bag... that's what the bamboo sticks are for. And then place the cuttings close to an east or north facing window.

When large droplets of water accumulate on the inside of the bag/"tent" you'll need to get a paper towel and wipe them off each time this happens so that the bag is w/o water droplets. Very tiny water droplets are fine but large water droplets need to be wiped off.

If you choose to use dip n' grow for your rooting hormone, hold the scarred cuttings in the solution for 1-minute and then stick them into the media.

Take care,

Dax

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much again Dax
    How about using willow water as rooting hormone?

• gardener365
    9 years ago

You could give it a try. Really, Thuja, on a scale of difficulty to root with 1 being difficult and 10 easy, Thuja is about a 9. They'll root without hormone.

Dax

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again
    Just another question
    When exactly do you take that cuttings?

• gardener365
    9 years ago

If you have extra material you could try some right now or I'd suggest that you wait until the beginning of spring after any frosts.

I don't have a clue about the year-round weather in Iran, however... or if you live at a high or low elevation which is two different worlds of climate, you understand. You cannot allow them to freeze and ideally you want temperatures between 12C to 24C or within proximately to those temperatures.

Today I grafted two conifers and am doing the same thing you'll be doing with your cuttings. The bags provide the necessary humidity as to not dry out the plant material. Pretty simple, really.

Dax

• hesamaf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thank you so much

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Wish me luck too, would ya... I've never grafted this time of the year but Europeans do so I thought what the heck?

You're welcome, take it easy.

Dax

• Hardy HC
    6 years ago

hello sir;

iam from iraq and i want to do growing arborvitae by cutting at this season ... what should i do ? i need some advise,,,,,, our weather now is 32C and will be wormer

thank you

• gardener365
    6 years ago

Grow your cuttings in the shade only. Prepare bed of loose soil (sand, organic matter such as peat moss, perlite; or perlite and vermiculite together.) Do not let the bed dry out. It always stays moist. And mist cuttings often. As often as possible.

Hope this helps.

Dax

• Hardy HC
    6 years ago

how i should use root hormone ??? how long it takes to be 30 cm hieght?

thank you so much for your help

• gardener365
    6 years ago

Depends upon the brand. As to 30 cm height, that depends if strong roots occurred and which arborvitae you are cloning.

Dip n' Grow rooting hormone has always done me well. 60 seconds dip of cuttings containing hardwood base and then to soil, or, no rooting hormone whatsoever. Arborvitae are very easy to root.

Semi-hardwood or softwood are not a good idea for rooting. Use wood that is hardwood at the base of your cuttings.

Dax

• Hardy HC
    6 years ago

ok thank you ... I want to know during a year past how long be the height of the cutting after planting it ? i want to have big project of arborvitae tree so I ask too much thank you for your reply.. :)

• Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
    6 years ago

Hi Dax,

How did the grafting in October turn out for you? I know that it was a couple years ago.

Thanks,
    Matt