Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Pinus resinosa 'Aurea'.

From Larry Stanley about 12 years ago. ! gal and 1 ft. tall.

Slower growing and somewhat open in appearance. Probably because it only receives 4-5 hours of sun in Summer.

A formal pyramidal form. Needles are two-toned: bright greenish at the base, and golden-yellow at the tips. Bark on younger trunks is reddish-brown. Good to -50 F. Z. 2. for all you cold weather growers.

Dave

Comments (5)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

That's one I didn't remember you having. Ken has one. The last I saw of his was likely 5-years ago and it was substantial.

It's not propagated often because scionwood is tough to come by being that the shoots/branches are often too thick. An excellent tree though.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey dudes...

i remember crawling under this thing.. to find dax some smallish scion.. guess that didnt work out for you dax???

got mine from a local guy in sept 2004 ...

dave.. i think yours could use more sun ...

here are some pix.. as of today ... coloration would be much brighter.. if the sun had been out today ...

ken

and here it is.. in situ .... dec 31 2005
    {{gwi:634828}}

and my dead mini mounds .. bad winter ...

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I got 1 of 2 or 2 of 2 to graft successfully, Ken.. however, the graft or grafts perished during summer.

It's easy for me to conclude now that if I were to remove the grafts from containers and plant them in-ground each year I'd keep likely between 75% and 90%. It's keeping them in containers thru the summer that kills them.

Every year it's a major bummer to get 90% takes in the greenhouse, then remove them to the outdoors under shade cloth and when fall comes along to see that 15-20% are alive. And, I judiciously care for them, 'each', on an individual needs basis; i.e. some need water more or less than others and I pick them up and water each individually.

I live in the wrong climate for the aftercare, there are no two doubts about it in my mind.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I will keep it as is. It seems to want to grow in height while being somewhat restricted to a narrow growing habit which is good for me. I don't have the room for it to look anything like yours. Should it change in growing habit it will go.

Dax seems like we all live in the wrong climate and there are certain things that just won't grow for us that the guy 50 miles away or the next state has success.

Here's the Picea pungens 'Edith' you sent me 6-7 years ago. It has finally sorted itself out and is now producing a central leader. Yes, I will be moving it this Fall as it has over stayed its location. Thanks for the gift again. No better blue out there.

Dave

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Gonna move it to the front yard Dave and let it go?

Very happy to have given it to ya.

Dax

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional