Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Redesign of garden.

With over crowding and plants encroaching on or growing over their borders I decided a complete remake of the center islands and circles was in order. All this will now become one large center island with the exception of one not seen in the photos.

Yes less grass to cut and some transplanting in the mix also.

These two photos don't offer complete incite into what is about to take place. The hose indicates where the new border will be. I am sure I will tweak it as remake begins.

Dave

Comments (22)

• newestEngland
    9 years ago

You have a stunning collection. Especially considering that I didn't realize trees existed in Kansas.

I can't positively identify any of them at this distance, but two of them are particularly striking. What's on on the bottom right? (Looks like some sort of pine.) What's the glaucous one with the weeping habit at the top left?

• Lily777
    9 years ago

Beautiful. You must have lots of space for a collection like that. I hope that you will post more pictures when you are finished with this project. Thanks for sharing.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

What was the question? I just shook myself awake after drooling over those photos!!! :-P

Haha, NewestEngland, "Especially considering that I didn't realize trees existed in Kansas." Hilarious! But in all seriousness, I concur - I've never been out there, I'm in Ohio and I've explored the states east, west, and south of me, but never been out west yet. I hope to get out west, soon!

So I think less grass to mow is awesome, and MORE PLANTS!!! Go for it! It also looks like the grass was struggling in parts where you're expanding, so putting plants that will thrive there will help.

Beautiful garden!

• Sara
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing! I can only hope that someday I have mature beds like this. Right now just battling for yard space with my husband, who is a 'grass person', and shudders whenever I cut sod. So far I am winning. Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Sara

This post was edited by sarafungal on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 15:58

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

At least to me its funny how obvious it becomes once you have the brick and hose down. Nice move and you get to expand!

I have to say the trifecta of the Skylands, Sky Trails and Tricolor is quite nice.

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

newest, I see you're new here,,,welcome
    you at least have to specify which pic

Dave, please keep us up to date with lots and lots of pics
    ron

• newestEngland
    9 years ago

Thanks, and sorry, I meant the first pic. Though one of the plants I'm asking about is also bottom left of the second.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Dave, if you get a moment can you share a pic of your Cornus florida? The glimpse of fall color shown looks quite eclectic.

• baxswoh
    9 years ago

A 2nd on the Florida request from whaas.

Is it a Cherokee Sunset?

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

Very nice indeed! How did you figure out spacing? I'm just starting to get into conifers,and would like to do grouping as you did, not the hedge concept...any tips for a beginner? thanks, bart

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

It's tough to go back to my starter collection of conifers after seeing what you have been able to do over the years... Your collection is top notch. I give you credit for always being willing to improve, if I had that layout, I would be too nervous to mess with perfection...

I think the new layout looks great, and will allow you to continue expanding, just be sure to maintain the viewing experience of your conifers from many angles. You designed your beds nicely to allow viewing of each conifer from many different angles. Sometimes the beds get too deep and they don't allow for multiple angles of viewing. It looks like you still are keeping the central bed narrow enough, that this won't be affected.. If it grows larger, maybe you could put some stone steps informally meandering through, so all trees can be fully appreciated... just some rookie feedback, I'm sure you have it all figured out tho!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Dave, I think you nailed it on the shape of your border...it seems to flow so nicely. I can only imagine how nice it will be upon completion.....if there is such a thing.
    Looking good
    Al

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

newestEngland..The 1st photo, bottom right, Pinus thumbergii 'Okinakabu'.

The glaucous weeper at top left of 2nd photo is Juniperus scopulorum 'Tholleson's Weeping Blue'.

Lily777....more photos will be forthcoming.

To all...the Eastern 1/3rd of Kansas is receptive to growing all kinds of conifer cultivars with the exception of Abies. To hot and humid.

Whass the trifecta you mention are Picea orientalis 'Skylands' Picea omorika 'Riverside' and Fagus sylvatica 'Dawycki'. A tall narrow grower. It will work well in the limited space I have given it.

Whaas /baxz5oh Cornus flordia 'Cherokee Sunset' it is.

Summer photo.

Fall foliage. The real good color about two weeks away.

bart2010..First you will need a design .Try to build your design around several focal point conifers. Then fill in with dwarf and miniature conifers and deciduous plants that play off each other for color balance. Go to ACS website at the link provided below to familiarize yourself regarding spacing and growth habits for plantings you are interested in.

SC77 Time and the ability to create and recreate your garden will dispel any nervous feelings you could encounter. You become more capable as you add and expand. I am in my 16th year. I started with just the desire to have a garden that was more then a few bushes and trees grown here and there. I learned by my mistakes and went on to improve upon what i was doing. Now when I am on the hunt for the truly unique conifer in a sea of offerings at my local nursery I will automatically know when that special one catches my eye that will fit into that void I need to fill.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Real nice, I'm a real sucker for fall color.

I wasn't familiar with 'Riverside' just assumed it was 'Sky Trails'. That thing has grown like a beast based upon your older pic on ACS.

What is the purple one behind Skylands at the link?

http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/Davesconifers/media/Redesign%20of%20islands%20started%20in%20Fall%20of%202014/IMG_1294.jpg.html

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I love the striking blues, particularly the blue one in the center bottom of the first photo.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Great layout! How do you keep the weeds down in those beds?

• rabbit2348
    9 years ago

Wow-just beautiful!! You have a great eye for design. Please post in-progress photos too.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Everything looking great Dave.

Dax

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

dave, what a great job you've done there! excellent bed shaping. not too fussy, feels natural. They move well for the eye and the walking experience.
    Obviously happy plants with the space they need.

Just curious- do you not interplant any grasses and perennials for a reason? Maybe you already know these, but I have some suggestions for beautiful conifer and mixed plantings gardens that you might find inspiring. (Heaven for me!):
    --Adrian Bloom's gardens , Foggy Bottom, in Norfolk, England:
    http://thebressinghamgardens.com/onlinetour/

GW photos from about the same era we visited there and were blown away:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/conif/msg1208142010404.html

--Cady's Falls Nursery in VT:
    http://www.cadysfallsnursery.com/Welcome%202014.html

best,
    mindy

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mindy,

Yes I use a lot of companion plants. No garden is complete, in my opinion, with out them. They bring a lot to the table and are dispersed where needed to complete the look I am after.. Grasses, deciduous plants, ground covers, Hostas just to name a few.

When the new borders are finished I will have a lot of new territory to fill in. Included will be companion plants.

Thanks for your input and the links. I will check them out.

This photo about two years old but will give you a better over all look at what I am trying to do.
    {{gwi:645628}}

Dave

• keefesn1
    9 years ago

Dave did you get that cornus from a local nursery, or did you mail order it? I am having a hard time finding it...

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keefesn1

I never mail order...well maybe once or twice.

I like to see what I am buying.

Purchased at my local nursery that carries a huge selection of conifers and deciduous trees.

Go to you local nursery and have them order this Cornus for you. They can piggy back your order on to theirs for Spring delivery.

Most nurseries will comply and do it for a customer. Just makes good business sense.

Dave